Drink driver who led nine police cars in 90mph chase is jailed

PUBLISHED: 13:07 11 April 2018 | UPDATED: 15:55 11 April 2018

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434

A drink driver has been jailed after he led police on a 22-mile chase from Great Yarmouth to Norwich reaching speeds of up to 90mph and crashed into a police car.

Tony Adams, 27, at one point had nine police vehicles involved in his pursuit and managed to write-off a police BMW when he crashed into it trying to get away, Norwich Crown Court heard.

John Morgans, prosecuting, said the pursuit began in the early hours of February 25 this year after Adams was spotted driving without lights on Marine Parade, in Great Yarmouth, and refused to stop for officers.

Mr Morgans said during the chase, Adams went through a red light and reached speeds of up to 50 to 60mph in a 30mph zone along Caister Road in a bid to get away.

Mr Morgans said Adams then went down the A47 Acle Straight and at one point stopped for officers near the Postwick slip road, but drove off again colliding with a police BMW which was written-off. He was finally arrested after police deployed a stinger device near the Thickthorn roundabout.

Mr Morgans said that Adams was found to be three times over the drink drive limit and his previous convictions include 10 offences of driving while disqualified, three offences of driving with excess alcohol, two aggravated vehicle taking offences and one dangerous driving offence.

Mr Morgans said Adams told police he had been out drinking with friends in Great Yarmouth on the night he was stopped. Adams, formerly of New Road. Littleport, who appeared via video link from prison admitted dangerous driving on February 25 and was jailed 14 months and given a three and half year driving ban.

Judge Maureen Bacon told him: “You are behaving like a delinquent teenager not someone approaching 30.”

She said he should “wise-up” and said he had put other road users lives at risk as well as his own life in peril.

She said fortunately no one was injured but warned him that if he had killed anyone he would be facing being locked up for a long time.

She said he had led police on a 22-mile pursuit involving nine police vehicles and had written off a police car.

Melanie Benn, for Adams, said he deserved credit for his guilty plea.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News

Yesterday, 21:49

A man arrested in connection with the murder of a 56-year-old in Great Yarmouth has been released on bail.

Yesterday, 17:29

A man who threatened to kill a woman he bombarded with abusive phone calls has been jailed.

Yesterday, 17:10

A man who spat at a police officer’s face and hair after being arrested has been spared jail.

Yesterday, 16:01

A stretch of seafront Great Yarmouth road is set to undergo nine weeks of repairs - at a cost of £100,000.

Most Read

Yesterday, 13:10

The man who was killed in a fatal stabbing in Great Yarmouth has been named.

Read more
Norwich Magistrates Court
Mon, 11:17

A man remains in hospital with serious injuries after his car crashed into a telephone pole and tree before landing in a ditch.

Read more
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
Mon, 13:37

A man has been arrested on suspicion of multiple driving offences including drink driving in Great Yarmouth.

Read more

Portraits and silhouettes of soldiers, nurses and munitions workers lined two Norfolk beaches as part of a Remembrance Day tribute by filmmaker Danny Boyle.

Read more
Remembrance Day 2018
Yesterday, 17:29

A man who threatened to kill a woman he bombarded with abusive phone calls has been jailed.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 9°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy