December 21 2013 Latest news:
Friday, July 20, 2012
A MAN who lost his partner in a camping accident on the Norfolk Broads is researching the toxic gas that killed her.
Ronald Wessling’s partner Hazel Woodhams, 30, died from carbon monoxide poisoning in July last year, while the pair were holidaying in Clippesby Hall near Great Yarmouth.
The couple from West Yorkshire had both been poisoned by the noxious gas after they brought a charcoal barbecue inside their tent overnight.
Ronald - a forensic scientist at Cranfield University - suffered severe injuries in the accident, which he is still recovering from.
A year on from the accident he is now undertaking a research project looking at toxicity of fuels in relation to carbon monoxide (CO). He is also planning to look into areas such as tent design to see what impact that has.
His project comes as the UK’s official gas safety body has issued “urgent advice” to holidaymakers.
The Gas Safe Register has published a series of tips to campers after research revealed a “worrying lack of awareness” among the public about the dangers of CO from barbecues and camping lamps.
One in five Brits do not recognise the dangers of bringing a gas barbecue inside a tent and more than a third do not know doing the same with a charcoal barbecue is just as risky.
The Register is now urging holidaymakers, including campers and people planning on staying in B&Bs and hotels, to follow its tips this summer, which include advice on the six main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
For more information and to see the full list of tips visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk/BBQ