Search

Lowestoft woman dies at James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston after being infected with anthrax

PUBLISHED: 16:15 08 March 2013 | UPDATED: 16:15 08 March 2013

A woman has died after being infected by anthrax

A woman has died after being infected by anthrax

Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2011

A female drug user from Lowestoft has died after being infected with anthrax, health experts have revealed.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the woman had injected anthrax infected heroin.

She died in the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston on Saturday night.

Suffolk police have confirmed the woman was from Lowestoft and her death is not being treated as suspicious.

The matter has been passed onto the Norfolk Coroner’s Office as the woman died in Norfolk.

No further details about the woman were released.

There has been a small number of anthrax infected heroin cases in Europe, with 13 cases identified by health officials since June last year.

Seven of the cases have occurred in the UK, including one in Scotland and one in Wales.

Four of the five people who contracted the bacterial infection in England have died, experts said.

The HPA said the source of the infection is believed to be contaminated heroin.

Two of the deaths occurred in Blackpool and the other death was a drug user in Medway, Kent.

The HPA said it is “unclear” whether the British cases are linked to the European outbreak which has affected drug users in Denmark, Germany and France.

Anthrax is a bacterial infection and is primarily a disease of herbivorous mammals, though other animals and some birds can also become infected.

Drug users can be exposed when heroin is contaminated with anthrax spores.

It is believed the heroin is brought into the country wrapped in animal hide which has anthrax spores.

Dr Chris Williams, consultant in communicable disease control at the HPA in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, said: “Anthrax can be cured with antibiotics, if treatment is started early.

“It is therefore important for medical professionals to be alert to the possibility of anthrax infection in heroin users presenting with signs and symptoms - which include severe soft tissue infections or blood poisoning - to prevent any delays in providing treatment.

“It is possible that further cases may be seen in people who inject heroin.

“People who use drugs may become infected with anthrax when the heroin they use is contaminated with anthrax spores.

“This could be a source of infection if injected, smoked or snorted - there is no safe route for consuming heroin or other drugs that may be contaminated with anthrax spores.”

Other News

11:28

One Norfolk headteacher has shared their moving account of how the funding crisis is hitting their school.

Yesterday, 18:58

Interesting stories behind a variety of buildings and landmarks across Norfolk will be revealed at the popular Heritage Open Days festival this autumn.

Yesterday, 15:22

A fire chief is urging businesses to train workers in fire safety after quick-thinking staff prevented a major blaze in a seaside amusement arcade.

Yesterday, 15:18

A campaign group, which gives a voice to women who have lost out because of changes in pension law, met their MEP as part in a national day of action.

Most Read

Yesterday, 15:22

A fire chief is urging businesses to train workers in fire safety after quick-thinking staff prevented a major blaze in a seaside amusement arcade.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:53

Firefighters are tackling a blaze at an amusement arcade in Hemsby this afternoon.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:29

Five people have been rushed to hospital after getting into difficulties in the sea at a north Norfolk beauty spot where a man drowned last summer.

Read more
Norwich
Yesterday, 08:08

A woman has suffered severe head and pelvic injuries after falling from the seawall at California Gap, near Great Yarmouth.

Read more
James Paget Hospital
11:28

One Norfolk headteacher has shared their moving account of how the funding crisis is hitting their school.

Read more

Most Commented

Yesterday, 15:22

A fire chief is urging businesses to train workers in fire safety after quick-thinking staff prevented a major blaze in a seaside amusement arcade.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 13°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Subscribe

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter