Search

Order your GoGoDragons! sticker book today

Click here

Lowestoft woman dies at James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston after being infected with anthrax

16:15 08 March 2013

A woman has died after being infected by anthrax

A woman has died after being infected by anthrax

Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2011

A female drug user from Lowestoft has died after being infected with anthrax, health experts have revealed.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the woman had injected anthrax infected heroin.

She died in the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston on Saturday night.

Suffolk police have confirmed the woman was from Lowestoft and her death is not being treated as suspicious.

The matter has been passed onto the Norfolk Coroner’s Office as the woman died in Norfolk.

No further details about the woman were released.

There has been a small number of anthrax infected heroin cases in Europe, with 13 cases identified by health officials since June last year.

Seven of the cases have occurred in the UK, including one in Scotland and one in Wales.

Four of the five people who contracted the bacterial infection in England have died, experts said.

The HPA said the source of the infection is believed to be contaminated heroin.

Two of the deaths occurred in Blackpool and the other death was a drug user in Medway, Kent.

The HPA said it is “unclear” whether the British cases are linked to the European outbreak which has affected drug users in Denmark, Germany and France.

Anthrax is a bacterial infection and is primarily a disease of herbivorous mammals, though other animals and some birds can also become infected.

Drug users can be exposed when heroin is contaminated with anthrax spores.

It is believed the heroin is brought into the country wrapped in animal hide which has anthrax spores.

Dr Chris Williams, consultant in communicable disease control at the HPA in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, said: “Anthrax can be cured with antibiotics, if treatment is started early.

“It is therefore important for medical professionals to be alert to the possibility of anthrax infection in heroin users presenting with signs and symptoms - which include severe soft tissue infections or blood poisoning - to prevent any delays in providing treatment.

“It is possible that further cases may be seen in people who inject heroin.

“People who use drugs may become infected with anthrax when the heroin they use is contaminated with anthrax spores.

“This could be a source of infection if injected, smoked or snorted - there is no safe route for consuming heroin or other drugs that may be contaminated with anthrax spores.”

Other News

16:21
RNLI lifeguard supervisor Nick Ayers

A mother who collapsed in front of her two distressed children in Hemsby was saved by a lifeguard who happened to be driving past.

16:06
Police are appealing for witnesses. Picture: PA/Joe Giddens

A man suffered a fractured cheekbone after he was attacked in Great Yarmouth.

15:09
Police are appealing for information. Picture: James Bass

Thieves stole money from a car while it was parked in Gorleston.

Hannah Witheridge and David Miller

The Burmese men accused of the Koh Tao backpacker murders were not threatened or beaten to confess, says a senior Thai police officer, who was present at most of their interrogations.

Most Read

10:07
Lynn Grove Academy in Gorleston.
August 2015.

Picture: James Bass

A school’s new logo has been causing amusement among its teenage pupils after they spotted its resemblance to a man’s private parts.

Read more
16:06
Police are appealing for witnesses. Picture: PA/Joe Giddens

A man suffered a fractured cheekbone after he was attacked in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
A screenshot from the video taken by Emil Gray at South Denes

Two videos appearing to show hydrochloric acid leaking from a tanker into the river at Great Yarmouth have circulated on social media, causing concern for local residents.

Read more
Environment Agency
15:09
Police are appealing for information. Picture: James Bass

Thieves stole money from a car while it was parked in Gorleston.

Read more
Peugeot
16:21
RNLI lifeguard supervisor Nick Ayers

A mother who collapsed in front of her two distressed children in Hemsby was saved by a lifeguard who happened to be driving past.

Read more

Most Commented

10:07
Lynn Grove Academy in Gorleston.
August 2015.

Picture: James Bass

A school’s new logo has been causing amusement among its teenage pupils after they spotted its resemblance to a man’s private parts.

Read more
Wed, 07:00
James Paget University Hospital, Gorleston, Norfolk.

A Norfolk hospital trust is searching for the cause of a rise in deaths after it emerged a higher-than-expected amount of patients have died.

Read more
NHS
Yesterday, 09:42
Noah the green sea turtle at Great Yarmouth Sea Life Centre. Picture: Zac Macaulay

Great Yarmouth’s resident green sea turtle is living up to his nickname of Naughty Noah after getting into the headstrong habit of tormenting scuba divers at the Sea Life Centre.

Read more
Friday, August 21, 2015
The Former Hemsby Pontins Holiday camp.

The controversial development of a former holiday camp is back on the table with plans to build 200 homes - but the firm behind the scheme has scrapped its bid to build a pub on the site.

Read more
Shirley Weymouth

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 13°C

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Great Yarmouth Mercury e-edition today E-edition