Search

Mother of young boxer Kuba Moczyk tells inquest fight organisers offered her up to £30,000

PUBLISHED: 13:41 12 October 2017 | UPDATED: 16:46 12 October 2017

Funeral of Jakob 'Kuba' Moczyk at St Mary's Church, Great Yarmouth.
Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Funeral of Jakob 'Kuba' Moczyk at St Mary's Church, Great Yarmouth. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2016

The mother of a boxer who was knocked unconscious in his first public fight and later died has told an inquest she was approached in hospital the day after the bout by a man who helped organise the event and was offered up to £30,000.

Kuba Moczyk, 22, who died after a boxing match in Great Yarmouth in November 2016. Picture: Magdalena MoczykKuba Moczyk, 22, who died after a boxing match in Great Yarmouth in November 2016. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

The man told the inquest at Norfolk Coroner’s Court in Great Yarmouth that he did not offer the money, and went to the hospital to offer his condolences, although he said he did later make a £1,500 “donation”.

Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, was rendered unconscious by a punch to the head during the third round at an unlicensed event in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, on November 19 2016. He died in hospital two days later.

His mother, Jolanta Smigaj, described the night at the Atlantis Tower Arena as a “high-risk, unlicensed event” in a statement read to the inquest hearing.

MORE: Atlantis Tower owner Colin Abbott says he did not organise bout where young boxer Kuba later died

She said that Aurelius Kerpe, who helped organise the event, approached her in hospital on November 20 2016.

“He asked me how much money I want, £20,000, £30,000 was offered,” said Ms Smigaj. “My partner was with me. We were both confused why he asked whatever amount we wanted.”

She continued: “I think it’s all very suspicious from beginning to end.”

Mr Kerpe, who was assisted by a Lithuanian interpreter, was asked by Norfolk’s senior coroner Jacqueline Lake if he offered Ms Smigaj money.

He said: “No, 100% no.”

MORE: Ringside medic tells inquest ring was too full as she tried to save Jakub ‘Kuba’ Moczyk

He said he did make a “donation” of £1,500, adding in broken English: “Everybody advise me don’t give money as looks like I’m guilty and advantage against me, but I don’t care.

“I don’t listen nobody and I donation from heart, sad what happened, just community.”

He said he went to the hospital to “give my condolences” but did not offer money.

He told the inquest he had 20 years of experience in boxing and was asked to help arrange the boxing event.

Asked by coroner Ms Lake about his involvement, he said: “I was asked to help with ordering the ring, referee, and sort of a matchmaker organising who would fight with whom.”

MORE: Inquest into death of Great Yarmouth boxer Jakub “Kuba” Moczyk hears of safety concerns from his sister

He said he took money from the event but not from the bars, and that he made payments for expenses including £250 for medics, and payments for the referee, ring hire and to fighters.

He said he had completed a risk assessment downloaded from the Internet with the help of an English friend, Paul Rackham.

Asked if he checked if medicals had been carried out on fighters before the fights started, he said: “I’m not answering the question.”

Ms Smigaj was ringside when her son was knocked to the canvas and she said in her statement “everything was a big mess”.

She said: “Nobody seemed to know what to do. Everybody kept saying he would get up.”

Ms Smigaj said it took “over an hour for the NHS ambulance to be there”.

Emergency medical technician Susan Mitchison, who was ringside when Mr Moczyk was knocked down, earlier told the inquest that paramedics arrived within 10 minutes.

The inquest continues.

Related articles

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News

29 minutes ago

A sunshine holiday has turned into a nightmare for a Caister family after their baby son fell ill in Cyprus and their insurers refused to pay for his treatment.

37 minutes ago

A lack of footfall at the wrong end of town is being blamed for the demise of a theatre cafe in Great Yarmouth.

54 minutes ago

Drivers have been dealing with another traffic lights failure in the Great Yarmouth borough, this time at a busy junction in Gorleston.

Diversions and traffic lights will be put in place as work is carried out to resurface a busy Caister road.

Most Read

Yesterday, 18:54

Four police officers were forced to sit on a man to get him under control during a dramatic arrest in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Great Yarmouth Police
Mon, 10:09

American fast food chain Taco Bell is launching in Great Yarmouth and now its location has been revealed.

Read more
Jonathan Newman
Mon, 13:40

A teenager has been charged after a woman in her 60s was assaulted on the Great Yarmouth market place.

Read more
Norwich Magistrates Court
Yesterday, 13:01

A teenager who was found with a flick knife shortly after a man was slashed across the neck in Great Yarmouth has been jailed.

Read more
Martin Ivory
Yesterday, 14:43

Another Norfolk beach has been added to the list of those taking part in a Remembrance Sunday tribute by filmmaker Danny Boyle.

Read more
Danny Boyle

Local Weather

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 10°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Subscribe

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy