Mother of young boxer Kuba Moczyk tells inquest fight organisers offered her up to £30,000

PUBLISHED: 13:41 12 October 2017 | UPDATED: 16:46 12 October 2017

Funeral of Jakob 'Kuba' Moczyk at St Mary's Church, Great Yarmouth.

Funeral of Jakob 'Kuba' Moczyk at St Mary's Church, Great Yarmouth. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2016

The mother of a boxer who was knocked unconscious in his first public fight and later died has told an inquest she was approached in hospital the day after the bout by a man who helped organise the event and was offered up to £30,000.

Kuba Moczyk, 22, who died after a boxing match in Great Yarmouth in November 2016. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk Kuba Moczyk, 22, who died after a boxing match in Great Yarmouth in November 2016. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

The man told the inquest at Norfolk Coroner’s Court in Great Yarmouth that he did not offer the money, and went to the hospital to offer his condolences, although he said he did later make a £1,500 “donation”.

Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, was rendered unconscious by a punch to the head during the third round at an unlicensed event in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, on November 19 2016. He died in hospital two days later.

His mother, Jolanta Smigaj, described the night at the Atlantis Tower Arena as a “high-risk, unlicensed event” in a statement read to the inquest hearing.

MORE: Atlantis Tower owner Colin Abbott says he did not organise bout where young boxer Kuba later died

She said that Aurelius Kerpe, who helped organise the event, approached her in hospital on November 20 2016.

“He asked me how much money I want, £20,000, £30,000 was offered,” said Ms Smigaj. “My partner was with me. We were both confused why he asked whatever amount we wanted.”

She continued: “I think it’s all very suspicious from beginning to end.”

Mr Kerpe, who was assisted by a Lithuanian interpreter, was asked by Norfolk’s senior coroner Jacqueline Lake if he offered Ms Smigaj money.

He said: “No, 100% no.”

MORE: Ringside medic tells inquest ring was too full as she tried to save Jakub ‘Kuba’ Moczyk

He said he did make a “donation” of £1,500, adding in broken English: “Everybody advise me don’t give money as looks like I’m guilty and advantage against me, but I don’t care.

“I don’t listen nobody and I donation from heart, sad what happened, just community.”

He said he went to the hospital to “give my condolences” but did not offer money.

He told the inquest he had 20 years of experience in boxing and was asked to help arrange the boxing event.

Asked by coroner Ms Lake about his involvement, he said: “I was asked to help with ordering the ring, referee, and sort of a matchmaker organising who would fight with whom.”

MORE: Inquest into death of Great Yarmouth boxer Jakub “Kuba” Moczyk hears of safety concerns from his sister

He said he took money from the event but not from the bars, and that he made payments for expenses including £250 for medics, and payments for the referee, ring hire and to fighters.

He said he had completed a risk assessment downloaded from the Internet with the help of an English friend, Paul Rackham.

Asked if he checked if medicals had been carried out on fighters before the fights started, he said: “I’m not answering the question.”

Ms Smigaj was ringside when her son was knocked to the canvas and she said in her statement “everything was a big mess”.

She said: “Nobody seemed to know what to do. Everybody kept saying he would get up.”

Ms Smigaj said it took “over an hour for the NHS ambulance to be there”.

Emergency medical technician Susan Mitchison, who was ringside when Mr Moczyk was knocked down, earlier told the inquest that paramedics arrived within 10 minutes.

The inquest continues.

Related articles

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News

35 minutes ago

A bid to increase collection fees for bulky waste items for Great Yarmouth households has been deferred.


Editor David Powles explains the story behind the first ever Norfolk Day.

Great Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis is under fresh pressure over claims he deliberately broke parliamentary voting rules.


The gala premiere of this year’s summmer circus was a triple celebration.

Most Read

Mon, 21:37

Police have deployed a drone to help armed officers make an arrest in Great Yarmouth this evening.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:14

Alarm clocks were not necessary for many people in the Great Yarmouth area this morning, with the “incredibly loud” sound of aircraft providing quite the shock for some.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:19

A man and woman have appeared in court charged in connection with a £19,000 benefits fraud in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Tue, 16:22

A woman is trying to locate the owner of a present she found at a bus stop in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Tue, 15:15

A supermarket chain will be turning off the tannoys and embracing a calmer atmosphere with a new weekly quiet hour.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 15°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy