No criminal case to answer regarding death of Great Yarmouth man Thomas Conway
PUBLISHED: 09:32 20 April 2017 | UPDATED: 09:45 20 April 2017
Police have confirmed there is no criminal case to answer regarding the death of a 34-year-old who died in August last year.
Thomas Conway was found on St Nicholas Road in Great Yarmouth with serious head injuries on Wednesday, August 31, and was initially treated in the James Paget University Hospital. He was then transferred to Addenbrookes in Cambridge, where he later died on September 18.
A Home Office post mortem examination conducted three days later concluded that he had died as a result of a head injury.
However, police have now confirmed that following more than six months of investigation, that there is no criminal case to answer.
Detective chief inspector Marie James said: “We’ve carried out extensive enquiries including detailed medical and forensic tests, however at this time there is no evidence to support a criminal prosecution.”
It was established Mr Conway, of no fixed abode, was involved in an altercation earlier in the day on August 31 in Wellesley Road.
Nicholas Tuck, 42 of Walpole Road, was later charged and convicted of common assault and was sentenced to a 12 month community order and alcohol treatment on Monday March 12 2017.
A second man, aged in his 20s, arrested in connection with the incident was released without charge.
However, a police spokesman said it could not be established whether the above assault is linked with the eventual death of Mr Conway and after an evidential review the Crown Prosecution Service have decided no further action will be taken.