Police continue to investigate fight in Norwich which led to a bus driver being suspended
PUBLISHED: 15:08 05 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:37 06 May 2017
Police are still investigating an incident which led to a bus driver being suspended, after a video of a fight between him and young man in Norwich was circulated on social media.
It happened at around 4pm on Wednesday, at the top of Prince of Wales Road.
In the video a single-decker Stagecoach bus is parked in the road in the background, with the door open.
The driver, who is dressed in a Stagecoach jacket, can be seen swinging the man around in the road, before the pair fall and continue to brawl on the pavement.
Members of the public attempt to break up the fight, which lasts just over a minute, and after watching the scramble, shocked passengers begin filing off the bus.
Andy Campbell, managing director of Stagecoach East, said: “We can confirm that a bus driver was suspended on Wednesday, May 3, following an incident in Norwich earlier that day.
“We understand on-street video footage of part of the incident has subsequently been posted on social media. Our investigation will examine the full circumstances involved.
“We are also contacting the police to assist with their investigation into the incident.”
A Norfolk Constabulary spokesman confirmed they were investigating. They said: “Police were called just before 4pm on May 3 to reports of two men fighting on Prince of Wales Road next to a single decker bus.
“On arrival, officers located one of the men involved. Enquiries are still ongoing and officers would like to appeal for any witnesses to contact the police on 101 and quoting ref 317 of May 3, 2017.”
Today, the force confirmed investigations were ongoing.