Greens salvage a point

PUBLISHED: 11:00 03 October 2008 | UPDATED: 11:56 03 July 2010

It was a pulsating match at Emerald Park on Saturday when Gorleston entertained high-flying Halstead. The visitors had only conceded three goals in the league this season.

It was a pulsating match at Emerald Park on Saturday when Gorleston entertained high-flying Halstead. The visitors had only conceded three goals in the league this season.

There was great news for Gorleston fans prior to the match when it was announced that Lee Hunter had returned to the club from Kirkley.

He had made a great impression as a striker at Gorleston last season scoring 22 goals in the first four months before being transferred to Kirkley. He was named as a sub.

Kyle Howell was injured and Steve Taylor moved to right-back. Taylor has been a tower of strength in midfield this season and has become a firm favourite with the fans. Ricci was suspended.

Harry Maddison, a youth team player last year, led the attack. It was a very fast game with Halstead an impressive side all round.

Their twin spearhead of Ray Turner and Chris Bryan posed a threat but they were well marshalled by Gorleston centre-backs skipper Eddie Thompson and Adam Thurtle. Lee Harwood, normally a defender, played in midfield alongside John Bell.

Nathan Thompson came close for Gorleston when he fired a shot over the bar.

He has been playing wide on the right instead of his customary role of striker and he worked hard and I'm sure the goals will come.

Chris Bryan was booked for Halstead for throwing the ball away and was rather lucky to stay on the field after this when he committed a similar offence. On 14 minutes Halstead took the lead when a quick break saw Ray Turner run through and fire a low shot past keeper Tom Marsden.

The second period continued at the same high tempo and Gorleston brought on Lee Hunter and Gary Ingram and looked more dangerous with their speed causing problems to Halstead's defence.

A well constructed move down the right involving Nathan Thompson and Steve Taylor saw Lee Hunter send a header just over the bar. Centre-half Tom Devaux was a tower of strength for Halstead.

On 84 minutes Gorleston equalised when a flowing move saw skipper Eddie Thompson fire the ball home from close range.

To the dismay of the home fans Halstead snatched the lead back with a goal a minute later. Gorleston lost possession in midfield and Halstead broke through for Ray Turner to give keeper Tom Marsden no chance with a fierce drive.

Gorleston's heads did not drop and they went all out on the attack and in the 90th minute were awarded a free-kick outside the area.

Gary Ingram took the free-kick

and, to the delight of the Greens' fans, drove the ball low past the wall and inside a post.

Gorleston: T Marsden. Steve Taylor, B Manning, L Harewood, A Thurtle, E Thompson, J Bell, N Thompson, H Maddison, P Lambert, L Goreham. Subs: G Ingram, L Hunter, J Long, R Harman, H Clements.

This Saturday, Gorleston play Gayton away in the Norfolk Senior Cup (2.30pm).

Gorleston Reserves are also away, at Walsham-le-Willows (3pm).

Other Great Yarmouth sport

Mon, 12:37

National road cycling championships will next year be hosted in Norfolk, it has been announced.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Kingfisher Amateur Boxing Club will return to Great Yarmouth’s Hippodrome for a special show, marking 100 years since guns fell silent.

Friday, November 2, 2018

Great Yarmouth Town will be aiming to put another disappointing week behind them on Saturday afternoon when they entertain Godmanchester Rovers in the second round of the FA Vase.

Most Read

Yesterday, 12:29

Police are appealing for help to trace a woman following a theft in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Tue, 13:10

The man who was killed in a fatal stabbing in Great Yarmouth has been named.

Read more
Norwich Magistrates Court
Yesterday, 12:20

Residents in Great Yarmouth will be able to enjoy having their favourite fast food orders delivered right to their doorstep thanks to a new delivery service.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:51

Homes are going up on a pub’s garden as it looks for ways to thrive.

Read more
Mon, 11:17

A man remains in hospital with serious injuries after his car crashed into a telephone pole and tree before landing in a ditch.

Read more
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 9°C

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today


Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy