Vase setback for Bloaters as late goal takes it to a replay

PUBLISHED: 08:11 29 September 2017

Aaron Sanders opens the scoring for the Bloaters in the very first minute on Saturday. Picture: Darren Seely

Aaron Sanders opens the scoring for the Bloaters in the very first minute on Saturday. Picture: Darren Seely

© DSS Digital Media

Great Yarmouth Town had to settle for a replay in Saturday’s FA Vase tie after conceding an equaliser in the last minute of normal time.

The home side rang the changes with the return of Joel and Josh Glover along with Lee Roots and Charlie Bartram. However, there were a couple of notable absentees in Sean Perfect and Olly Savage.

The visitors had suffered a tumultuous week prior to the second round qualifying fixture, losing manager Marc Benterman just a day before the match.

The Bloaters went with a front three and got off to a flying start at the sun-baked Wellesley. With just 45 seconds on the clock Glover won a header and found Aaron Sanders in space and he fired home a fine shot to give the Bloaters a dream start.

Two minutes later the home side could have doubled their lead when a beautifully weighted cross by Sanders found the head of Mitch Forbes whose attempt flew just over.

Both sides were struggling with the difficult surface with passes going astray, but it was the Bloaters who were creating the better chances. An injury to Roots saw the introduction of 16-year-old Josh Ford and the youngster did well at left back as the back four was reshuffled.

The visitors started the brighter of the two sides in the second half, although the home defence were coping well. Sanders could have doubled the home sides’ advantage as he fired over after Forbes pulled back a pass.

Debenham continued to have the better chances however and with a minute of normal time left a corner from the right was swung into the area and Stillinger rose highest to give them a deserved equaliser. The shock almost brought about another goal for the Bloaters as Sanders broke through, but his shot was saved by the impressive Fenner to send the game into extra-time.

The first half saw the best period of play by the home side as they showed more urgency as first Davis let fly from 25 yards and then Holmes had a shot deflected wide. In the second period Debenham saw more of the ball and Stillinger should have put them ahead as he missed a good chance after an excellent run and cross by Myhill.

Man-of-the-match: Adie Ager.

Team: Glover, Roots, Andersen, Bartram, Ager, Howell, Sanders, Applegate, Forbes, Glover, Davis. Subs: McAra, Holmes, Ford, Palmer, Bond. Attendance 92.

Other Great Yarmouth sport

Yesterday, 16:16

Former Norwich City footballer Darren Eadie opens up about his own battles with mental health and tells men who may be struggling - talk about it.

Fri, 09:43

Great Yarmouth Town slipped five points adrift at the foot of the table after suffering another home defeat.

Mon, 12:37

National road cycling championships will next year be hosted in Norfolk, it has been announced.

Most Read

Wed, 12:29

Police are appealing for help to trace a woman following a theft in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Tue, 13:10

The man who was killed in a fatal stabbing in Great Yarmouth has been named.

Read more
Norwich Magistrates Court
Thu, 14:16

A young girl left severely disabled after mistakes were made during her birth at a Norfolk hospital will receive an extra £600,000 in damages.

Read more
Wed, 12:20

Residents in Great Yarmouth will be able to enjoy having their favourite fast food orders delivered right to their doorstep thanks to a new delivery service.

Read more
Wed, 14:51

Homes are going up on a pub’s garden as it looks for ways to thrive.

Read more

Local Weather



max temp: 12°C

min temp: 7°C

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today


Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy