Any memories of this Cobholm smokehouse?
- Credit: Archant
Reader and photograph Julie Grint from Acle spotted this structure many times while travelling towards the Haven Bridge and town centre in recent weeks.
She wrote: “Many people couldn’t have failed to notice the large smoke house which is being demolished at Cobholm. I spoke to Ralph Lamb, whose father once owned an electrical engineering business where he also worked, J W Lamb and Son, at 135/136 Mill Road.
The smoke house is at 137 Mill Road.
“It is believed the smoke house could have been built between the 1850s-1860s and was no longer in use in the 1930s, certainly not during the Second World War and the maltings, R S Watling, would have been built about the same time.
“Some of the bricks which are being dismantled from the structure were sourced from a nearby mill.”
You may also want to watch:
Does anyone have any memories of the old smoke house? Who owned it? Did anyone’s parents and grandparents work there? Are there any pictures of it while it was still operating? Write to Letters at the Mercury, 169 King Street, Great Yarmouth NR30 2PA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 4 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 6 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 7 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 8 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say
- 9 Woman suffers fatal heart attack in ambulance outside Paget
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk