Any memories of this Cobholm smokehouse?
- Credit: Archant
Reader and photograph Julie Grint from Acle spotted this structure many times while travelling towards the Haven Bridge and town centre in recent weeks.
She wrote: “Many people couldn’t have failed to notice the large smoke house which is being demolished at Cobholm. I spoke to Ralph Lamb, whose father once owned an electrical engineering business where he also worked, J W Lamb and Son, at 135/136 Mill Road.
The smoke house is at 137 Mill Road.
“It is believed the smoke house could have been built between the 1850s-1860s and was no longer in use in the 1930s, certainly not during the Second World War and the maltings, R S Watling, would have been built about the same time.
“Some of the bricks which are being dismantled from the structure were sourced from a nearby mill.”
You may also want to watch:
Does anyone have any memories of the old smoke house? Who owned it? Did anyone’s parents and grandparents work there? Are there any pictures of it while it was still operating? Write to Letters at the Mercury, 169 King Street, Great Yarmouth NR30 2PA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 2 Suspected murder victim had 'heart of gold' and 'loved life'
- 3 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 4 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 5 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 6 Funding for Hemsby sea defences a 'significant challenge'
- 7 Rail service disrupted after boat hits railway bridge
- 8 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 9 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 10 Man jailed for county lines drug dealing in Great Yarmouth