Do you remember the British school?
CAROLYN Winterburn in Spain has enlisted readers' help to find out more about the British School in Great Yarmouth.She emailed us: "I have a letter written in 1859 from a scholar at The British School in Great Yarmouth.
CAROLYN Winterburn in Spain has enlisted readers' help to find out more about the British School in Great Yarmouth.
She emailed us: "I have a letter written in 1859 from a scholar at The British School in Great Yarmouth. I was born and bred in Yarmouth but have never heard of it. I can find no information about this school and wondered if anyone knows where it was situated and what kind of school it was.
Our Peggotty could only give us sparse help - a bit before his time (well, only a bit!) but he recalled a little nugget telling us: "The Lancastrian School (also known as the Auxiliary British Free School Society) was founded in February 1812 at the junction of Nelson and St George's Road in Great Yarmouth. It was enlarged in 1861. But that's yer lot!"
Can any reader shed more light on the school for our reader in Spain?
You may also want to watch:
Write to British School, The Mercury 169 King Street, Great Yarmouth NR30 2PA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 2 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 3 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 4 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 5 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 6 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk