Do you remember the British school?
CAROLYN Winterburn in Spain has enlisted readers' help to find out more about the British School in Great Yarmouth.She emailed us: "I have a letter written in 1859 from a scholar at The British School in Great Yarmouth.
CAROLYN Winterburn in Spain has enlisted readers' help to find out more about the British School in Great Yarmouth.
She emailed us: "I have a letter written in 1859 from a scholar at The British School in Great Yarmouth. I was born and bred in Yarmouth but have never heard of it. I can find no information about this school and wondered if anyone knows where it was situated and what kind of school it was.
Our Peggotty could only give us sparse help - a bit before his time (well, only a bit!) but he recalled a little nugget telling us: "The Lancastrian School (also known as the Auxiliary British Free School Society) was founded in February 1812 at the junction of Nelson and St George's Road in Great Yarmouth. It was enlarged in 1861. But that's yer lot!"
Can any reader shed more light on the school for our reader in Spain?
You may also want to watch:
Write to British School, The Mercury 169 King Street, Great Yarmouth NR30 2PA or email email@example.com
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 3 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 4 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 5 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 6 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 7 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 Schoolchildren driving Covid rates across Yarmouth
- 10 No further action over arson and fraud allegation at care home