Do you remember the British school?
CAROLYN Winterburn in Spain has enlisted readers' help to find out more about the British School in Great Yarmouth.She emailed us: "I have a letter written in 1859 from a scholar at The British School in Great Yarmouth.
CAROLYN Winterburn in Spain has enlisted readers' help to find out more about the British School in Great Yarmouth.
She emailed us: "I have a letter written in 1859 from a scholar at The British School in Great Yarmouth. I was born and bred in Yarmouth but have never heard of it. I can find no information about this school and wondered if anyone knows where it was situated and what kind of school it was.
Our Peggotty could only give us sparse help - a bit before his time (well, only a bit!) but he recalled a little nugget telling us: "The Lancastrian School (also known as the Auxiliary British Free School Society) was founded in February 1812 at the junction of Nelson and St George's Road in Great Yarmouth. It was enlarged in 1861. But that's yer lot!"
Can any reader shed more light on the school for our reader in Spain?
You may also want to watch:
Write to British School, The Mercury 169 King Street, Great Yarmouth NR30 2PA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 2 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 3 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 4 'Public' swimming pool could have to shut after mystery complaint
- 5 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 6 Man throws bottle through house window in confrontation
- 7 Knifeman threatened to cut victim's throat if he 'grassed'
- 8 Missing man found safe and well
- 9 Beds occupied by Covid patients at hospital increases five-fold in a month
- 10 Wigwams approved - but villagers feel 'overpowered' by tourist industry