Photo gallery: Memories of the lost lido at Gorleston seafront
- Credit: Archant Library
Summer sputtered and stalled this year but many of us still flocked to the Norfolk coast to make the most of sunny spells.
Gorleston beach, one of the best tourist attractions in the world according to Tripadvisor, always draws a crowd when the weather brightens.
But can you remember the outdoor pool that used to be where Ocean Room is today?
In 1939 the Gorleston Lido opened with 2,000 people heading to its opening ceremony at the Floral Hall, now the Ocean Room, featuring a diving demonstration from the local Lads' Club and a swimming exhibition by The Johnson Girls.
The 150ft by 48ft pool was lined with striking green tiles and boasted diving boards, heated seawater and floodlit bathing at night.
Surrounded by flower beds and with rambling roses adorning the changing cubicles it was a beautiful venue in its heyday.
You may also want to watch:
The Lido fell into disuse in the late 1980s and was demolished in 1993.
It may now be gone but the memories live on.
- 1 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 2 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 4 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
- 5 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 6 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 7 They started life in lockdown - but how are these businesses doing now?
- 8 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 9 Gorleston high street closed this week for emergency gas works
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
Please enjoy reminiscing about Gorleston Lido by looking through these photos.