HAPPISBURGH: Wedding belles
- Credit: Archant
Residents of a coastal village had an unusual surprise when over 40 wedding dresses were delivered to the parish church. All was to be revealed when St Mary’s Church in Happisburgh announced a wedding dress show was to take place down the aisle with a special guest explaining the history of unique designs and, in some cases, the famous brides who wore the gowns.
Organisers were church supporters Melanie and Peter Martin. Peter said: “We had this show in mind about four years ago when a successful dress designer, Kevin Thornhill, visited Happisburgh on a family holiday.”
And after several phone discussions over several months, it was agreed the church was a prefect location for a fashion show and Mr Thornhill was persuaded to return to Happisburgh for another “holiday”.
With the help of three local, young ladies and support from parishioners the show went ahead and raised £363 which will benefit local churches. As the models walked the aisle Kevin Thornhill explained the history and design of copies of wedding gowns worn by Lady Diana Spencer, Kate Middleton and Princess Anne. Mr Thornhill was trained by Terri Fox who worked for the Emmanuel’s. He worked on Princess Diana’s dress during that time. He then set up his own business and for 15 years designed and made wedding dresses. He continues to create wedding gowns as well as theatre costumes.
Pictured, from left: Melanie Martin, Kevin Thornhill and models Heather, Nicole, Mavis and Isabel.
You may also want to watch:
Words and Pictures: MAURICE GRAY
Click here for more Village Life http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/great-yarmouth-life/village-life
- 1 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 2 Drugs factory worker who hid cash under bed must pay back £42k
- 3 Man staged his own kidnap to get ransom from his family
- 4 'We're going to be rammed' - pubs bracing for weekend revelry
- 5 Plea to find family of 38-year-old Great Yarmouth man
- 6 New surface planned for 'muddy' track popular with walkers
- 7 Emergency services dealing with incident at inflatable on beach
- 8 Our verdict on the new Giant Wheel on Great Yarmouth seafront
- 9 Charity shops see record sales and donations after reopening
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing