Letter: Gapton retail park exacerbates roundabout congestion
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
On a regular basis, I have to make the nightmare trip of trying to get passed the Gapton retail park just to get on to the Gapton roundabout, so I can get to Norwich, Yarmouth or Lowestoft and then the return trip back to the Bradwell area is even worse.
I know there are other routes I can take, but having this retail park just off the most important and busiest roundabout in the Great Yarmouth area is a disaster. This huge bottleneck, which has been formed over the years due to the expansion of the retail park, and having a pedestrian crossing, just off the roundabout, instead of pedestrian bridges or underpasses, exacerbates the problem.
Drastic modifications will be required to remove this problem. One way would be to remove out of town shopping areas completely and put shops back into town centres where they belong. This may be a little drastic and we have come too far for that suggestion, or we use all the spare land to filter traffic in and out of this retail park, and back onto the main road without compromising the main flow of traffic.
But this will never happen, just like we will never dual carriageway the A47 to Acle.
This is not just a Great Yarmouth problem it is problem that has been encouraged across the country. Out of town shopping, which is the country’s answer to help us shop easily and conveniently, has destroyed our green fields and our wonderful historic towns.
You may also want to watch:
However, there needs to be improvements at the Gapton roundabout as it is an annoyance and can be quite dangerous.
- 1 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 2 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 3 Killer shrimp 'no-fishing' barriers torn down by vandals in the Broads
- 4 Retired teacher took his own life ahead of abuse court case, inquest hears
- 5 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 6 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 7 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 8 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 9 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 10 Town centre post office closed as staff self-isolate