Letter: That’s us in the Sixties photo!
Two sisters were delighted to open up last week’s paper and find a picture of the neighbourhood they grew up in.
And on closer inspection - with the help of a magnifying glass - they were able to identify themselves in the 1961 picture they had never seen before.
The picture was taken close to Sackville Close where Margo Williams and Kim Helsdon (both nee Anderson) grew up with their brother Michael Anderson.
The Anderson trio are pictured together in the foreground when Margo was around 13, Michael was seven and Kim just four.
Mrs Williams now 68 and living in Belton along with her sister Kim now 59 from Burgh Castle said they were stunned to find themselves in the picture all those years ago. Although the Row house was clearly the subject it was nice to be taken back to their childhood and the days when they would be sent out to play while their mother got on indoors.
You may also want to watch:
As youngsters they remembered playing in the bombed out ruins of buildings before the library was built and climbing on to a garage roof to pick fruit from the pear trees pictured. The picture also shows communal washing lines that were usually pegged full of laundry. Their brother sadly died four years ago.
- 1 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 2 Man staged his own kidnap to get ransom from his family
- 3 Watch our virtual tour of Pleasure Beach's new Snails and Fairytales ride
- 4 Council to splash out £1.9m on Great Yarmouth town centre
- 5 Hotel and restaurant for sale for £150,000 less two years on
- 6 Trio from Great Yarmouth charged with Norwich betting shop robbery
- 7 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 8 New escape room to open in Great Yarmouth
- 9 Woman's appeal against condition on pub conversion rejected
- 10 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff