Model to raise profile of Lydia Eva
I HAVE been watching on line with some admiration, your coverage of the Yarmouth Maritime Festival, and in particular the re-appearance in Yarmouth of the steam drifter Lydia Eva.
I HAVE been watching on line with some admiration, your coverage of the Yarmouth Maritime Festival, and in particular the re-appearance in Yarmouth of the steam drifter Lydia Eva. I am sure your coverage will help to bring home to the local people what a gem they have, and how near she came to being lost forever.
I should explain; I am a ship modeller and for the last two years have, with a friend, been creating a 1/18th scale model of Lydia Eva. She is some 65ins long and steam powered. Unlike the real ship, the model regularly sails under steam in West Yorkshire.
We have been greatly assisted by Chris Monkhouse and her late husband Laurence, of the Lydia Eva and Mincarlo Trust. They supplied drawings and photographs and arranged for us to visit the ship whilst she was on the slip at Smalls yard in Lowestoft.
We hope to raise the profile of Lydia Eva here in the north, and who knows we might encourage a few more people to contribute to this worthy endeavour.
You may also want to watch:
Willow Dene Avenue
- 1 Covid on the coast: Record high for July but case numbers dipping
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 4 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 5 Man appears in court charged with murder of Gorleston woman
- 6 Historic town wasteland transformed into vivid urban garden
- 7 'Nobody wants the responsibility' - Town's public art collection for sale
- 8 Flats bid for former pub refused over 'cramped showers' concerns
- 9 'I need to see a body' - Sister's torment over speedboat deaths
- 10 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show