Summer fun with Keep Fit ladies - and where are the Saturday Club members?
- Credit: Archant
Calling all Saturday ladies… there is a special Saturday coming up at Fleggburgh on July 9.
The wonderful Norfolk Keep Fit Association was founded in 1965 and is still going strong today,
There are classes across the county offering fitness, movement and dance combined with fun and friendship.
During the years the association has reached out to help many groups, organisations and individuals in the community and made generous donations to various local and national charities.
They include the East Anglian Air Ambulance, Nelson’s Journey and the Norfolk Accident and Rescue Service.
The Saturday Club was formed in 1986 by Pam Loe, then chairwoman of the association’s executive committee in response to any requests for a keep fit display.
What began as a temporary set-up became very popular and ran until the summer of 2000.
- 1 Football club president is face known to thousand of Hippodrome fans
- 2 Where you can watch fireworks in Great Yarmouth this summer
- 3 Plans to revamp Great Yarmouth town centre gather pace
- 4 7 famous faces with Great Yarmouth links
- 5 PM's pledge over new hospitals, including James Paget, to be probed
- 6 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 7 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 8 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 9 Rapid growth of farm shop proves value of business diversity
- 10 Wimbledon hopes come to an end for Norfolk tennis ace
Over the years the Saturday Club became a familiar sight at events near and far.
The days when they would perform on the busy Great Yarmouth marketplace supporting Hospital Radio Yare before dashing off to put on a show at a sedate village fete to support church funds.
The team were invited to perform at the Royal Norfolk Show and the Town and Country Weekend and all displays were given free with any payment being donated to a charity of the team’s choice.
Now the Norfolk Keep Fit Association has arranged a Summer Fun afternoon at Fleggburgh Village Hall on Saturday July 9 at 2pm and all members of the Saturday Club are invited to come along to meet up with fellow team members to remember those special days.
It will be a great opportunity to meet up with fellow members and share memories and photographs.
The Norfolk Keep Fit Association has a training programme in place for teachers and trainers. If you are interested in joining a class or becoming a teacher they would love you to get in touch via www.keepfit.org.uk/contact.
For more old photos and articles about Norfolk history and heritage, subscribe to our fortnightly Through the Decades email newsletter. Sign up by clicking here.