POTTER HEIGHAM: Iconic tower opens up
- Credit: Archant
For more than 80 years it has stood tall overseeing activity on the Norfolk Broads at Potter Heigham.
And now the iconic Herbert Woods tower is being opened up to a new audience as holidaymakers are being invited to stay in its plush surroundings.
The tower was originally built to house water tanks, with Herbert Woods himself using the first floor as his private office suite where he designed many craft. During the second world war its height, which has dominated the landscape at Potter Heigham, was capitalised on and it was commandeered as a watch tower, complete with machine guns.
In the late 1990s the water tanks were removed and three offices and four apartments created. Now two of those apartments have been given a £15,000 refurbishment and are available for people to stay in.
Both the Dragonfly and Swallowtail apartments have two bedrooms, an open plan kitchen and living room as well as a balcony overlooking the Broads Haven Marina.
You may also want to watch:
They also come with a complimentary fishing boat complete with outboard motor for keen anglers .
Herbert Woods’ marketing director Amanda Walker said: “The Herbert Woods tower is one of the most iconic landmarks on the Norfolk Broads and familiar to generations of holidaymakers.
- 1 Toddler found in car not wearing seatbelt and driver had no licence
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 E-scooter riders clock up 10,000 miles in over two weeks
- 4 Police cracking down on anti-social motorbike riders
- 5 Man died after knife fight with housemate
- 6 Woman's appeal against condition on pub conversion rejected
- 7 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 8 'What's not to like?' - Waiting list for beach huts as owners return
- 9 Police on scene in village 'just in case' as person taken to hospital
- 10 Local pub splashes back into action
“We are very proud of it and have been delighted to be able to restore two of the apartments so people can enjoy it and the great views they will have over the marina.”
For more details, including how to book, visit www.herbertwoods.co.uk or call 0800 144 4472.
Click here for more Village Life http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/great-yarmouth-life/village-life