POTTER HEIGHAM: Iconic tower opens up
- Credit: Archant
For more than 80 years it has stood tall overseeing activity on the Norfolk Broads at Potter Heigham.
And now the iconic Herbert Woods tower is being opened up to a new audience as holidaymakers are being invited to stay in its plush surroundings.
The tower was originally built to house water tanks, with Herbert Woods himself using the first floor as his private office suite where he designed many craft. During the second world war its height, which has dominated the landscape at Potter Heigham, was capitalised on and it was commandeered as a watch tower, complete with machine guns.
In the late 1990s the water tanks were removed and three offices and four apartments created. Now two of those apartments have been given a £15,000 refurbishment and are available for people to stay in.
Both the Dragonfly and Swallowtail apartments have two bedrooms, an open plan kitchen and living room as well as a balcony overlooking the Broads Haven Marina.
You may also want to watch:
They also come with a complimentary fishing boat complete with outboard motor for keen anglers .
Herbert Woods’ marketing director Amanda Walker said: “The Herbert Woods tower is one of the most iconic landmarks on the Norfolk Broads and familiar to generations of holidaymakers.
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 3 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 4 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 5 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 7 'Road to nowhere' after erosion streak at Winterton
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 10 No further action over arson and fraud allegation at care home
“We are very proud of it and have been delighted to be able to restore two of the apartments so people can enjoy it and the great views they will have over the marina.”
For more details, including how to book, visit www.herbertwoods.co.uk or call 0800 144 4472.
Click here for more Village Life http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/great-yarmouth-life/village-life