Letter: Closing public toilets the worst mistake the council has made
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press Archant
I’ve worked on Great Yarmouth market for 30 years and the most asked question is “Where is the nearest toilet?”
I have always sent them to the toilets under Market Gates. These have been by far the cleanest toilets around. Does anyone remember Mrs Brown who worked in there? She would follow you around with her cloth and mop.
You could eat your dinner off the sinks and she would be turning in her grave if she saw them now! The council gets rid of the full-time cleaners, lets the drunks move in and over the past year allowed them to become rundown. So now, hey-ho, they say why don’t we just shut them?
This is the worst mistake the council has made, apart from trying to move the market.
When people get off the buses at Market Gates and ask where are the toilets we have now got to send them all the way to The Conge. Let’s hope they haven’t been on the bus for hours and are busting.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 2 New Sports Direct in town's former M&S set for summer opening
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 5 The challenges of May 17 re-opening - including keeping people sat down
- 6 Norfolk ban for three men who stole cash from Yarmouth fruit machines
- 7 "We're looking to move soon" - Neighbours' anger over derelict building fires
- 8 Woman shares horror after pet cat Dave is mutilated by elastic band
- 9 "I love it here" - No surprise at village's Rightmove popularity
- 10 Great Yarmouth man banned from high street at night