First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 Out of stock: Great Yarmouth food bank's uncertain future
- 3 Hundreds sign petition calling for coastal villages bus route to Norwich
- 4 CCTV appeal after series of Great Yarmouth burglaries
- 5 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 6 House of Fun! When Madness video was shot at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 7 First Buses to change tickets to make travel simpler
- 8 Lovely jubbly! Only Fools and Horses tribute show heads to town
- 9 Norfolk woman in running to be named best hair stylist in the country
- 10 On your marks! Great Yarmouth to host endurance weekender