Readers letter: Football is too easy today for forwards
- Credit: PA
Unaccustomed as I am with the absurd, having watched the progress of football for 90 years lightheartedly I am going to make what you may think are a few light headed remarks about this game.
We have gone from heavy footballs boots to football shoes, from heavy leather footballs to thick plastic balloons.
All things are balanced towards the attack. Goals are being scored from the centre spot. How long will it be before the opposing goalkeeper could score a goal?
Absurd as it may seem how long before a double figure score line will be the norm?
After nearly 130 years of league football surely now is the time to equalize the balance of power between defence and attack.
You may also want to watch:
One way would be to take a metre off the width of the goal mouth.
The style of the game has changed from the central approach, to an approach from the wings giving a broader attack with the rules in the box restricting a lot of the aid to the goalkeeper.
- 1 Plea to find family of 38-year-old Great Yarmouth man
- 2 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 3 Drugs factory worker who hid cash under bed must pay back £42k
- 4 Emergency services dealing with incident at inflatable on beach
- 5 Our verdict on the new Giant Wheel on Great Yarmouth seafront
- 6 'We're going to be rammed' - pubs bracing for weekend revelry
- 7 The Last Post - knitted tribute to Prince Philip pops up in village
- 8 Charity shops see record sales and donations after reopening
- 9 New surface planned for 'muddy' track popular with walkers
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinics cancelled following influx of bookings