Readers letter: Football is too easy today for forwards
- Credit: PA
Unaccustomed as I am with the absurd, having watched the progress of football for 90 years lightheartedly I am going to make what you may think are a few light headed remarks about this game.
We have gone from heavy footballs boots to football shoes, from heavy leather footballs to thick plastic balloons.
All things are balanced towards the attack. Goals are being scored from the centre spot. How long will it be before the opposing goalkeeper could score a goal?
Absurd as it may seem how long before a double figure score line will be the norm?
After nearly 130 years of league football surely now is the time to equalize the balance of power between defence and attack.
One way would be to take a metre off the width of the goal mouth.
The style of the game has changed from the central approach, to an approach from the wings giving a broader attack with the rules in the box restricting a lot of the aid to the goalkeeper.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk