Surprised by boardwalk laid on North Denes beach!
- Credit: Archant
How embarrassing! After two years of petitioning, surveys of public and businesses, applications for funding from Dudgeon, meetings with GYBC etc in order to install a boardwalk from the Beaconsfield Road slope, we find now that an almost complete brand new boardwalk has been constructed 100 yards further north at Salisbury Road.
Two of our PoNY members (People of North Yarmouth) Jane and John Langley, went over to speak to the men who were putting the finishing touches to this excellent construction. It begins both at the Salisbury Road ramp and the steps, and runs to a distant platform above the high-water mark and has already tested out with a wheelchair user.
Apparently the boardwalk has been put in connection with the new National Coastal Path to mitigate foot traffic over the SSSI and little terns colony. Norfolk County Council (Norfolk Trails and Projects) were commissioned to carry out this work, and will ensure its future maintenance. They will be constructing a second similar boardwalk at the northern end of the SSSI near Caister (point opposite Haven holiday camp.)
All’s well that ends well though.
Perhaps PoNY will need to press on and try for additional boardwalks to help people negotiate the wide beach at the Sandown Road ramp and just north of Britannia Pier too?
- 1 Tributes to Yarmouth Town legend Keith
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 4 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 5 Banned drink diver led Great Yarmouth police on chase
- 6 Group to tackle impact of fairs and events in Yarmouth
- 7 Gorleston murder accused refuses to leave cell for court hearing
- 8 New face mask rules: Are Yarmouth shoppers complying?
- 9 Hundreds of of poorest people in Great Yarmouth to have homes insulated
- 10 Man accused of gluing locks to Covid centre appears in court
Yarmouth North and Central