Surprised by boardwalk laid on North Denes beach!
- Credit: Archant
How embarrassing! After two years of petitioning, surveys of public and businesses, applications for funding from Dudgeon, meetings with GYBC etc in order to install a boardwalk from the Beaconsfield Road slope, we find now that an almost complete brand new boardwalk has been constructed 100 yards further north at Salisbury Road.
Two of our PoNY members (People of North Yarmouth) Jane and John Langley, went over to speak to the men who were putting the finishing touches to this excellent construction. It begins both at the Salisbury Road ramp and the steps, and runs to a distant platform above the high-water mark and has already tested out with a wheelchair user.
Apparently the boardwalk has been put in connection with the new National Coastal Path to mitigate foot traffic over the SSSI and little terns colony. Norfolk County Council (Norfolk Trails and Projects) were commissioned to carry out this work, and will ensure its future maintenance. They will be constructing a second similar boardwalk at the northern end of the SSSI near Caister (point opposite Haven holiday camp.)
All’s well that ends well though.
Perhaps PoNY will need to press on and try for additional boardwalks to help people negotiate the wide beach at the Sandown Road ramp and just north of Britannia Pier too?
- 1 Where you can watch fireworks in Great Yarmouth this summer
- 2 Plans to revamp Great Yarmouth town centre gather pace
- 3 7 famous faces with Great Yarmouth links
- 4 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 5 Pupils put best feet forward to celebrate their school's 150th anniversary
- 6 'There will be a huge impact' - Councillor's fears ahead of 665 homes vote
- 7 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 8 Rapid growth of farm shop proves value of business diversity
- 9 Town road works extended due to depression in road surface
- 10 Marine company feeling buoyant after securing pilot launch contract
Yarmouth North and Central