On February 16, it was my 90th birthday and I thought everyone had forgotten about it, and although I kept on reminding people I didn't get much response.
On February 16, it was my 90th birthday and I thought everyone had forgotten about it, and although I kept on reminding people I didn't get much response. But unbeknown to me, my daughter was organising a surprise party and it was “shhhh don't say a word to Ethel.”
My daughter said she couldn't do much as it fell on a Monday and she works full time, so she told me that she would, together with my grandson take me out for my tea on the Sunday. I didn't in my wildest dreams expect what was about to happen next, although my daughter had been asking a few strange questions at times.
On the Sunday, my grandson arrived to take me “to tea” at the Furzedown Hotel where my daughter would meet me there and then, as the doors opened to the dining room, I was faced by a sea of faces, some 65 in all, many who had travelled to be at my party.
I was spellbound and speechless to see these people, some who I hadn't seen in a lot of years. I had a wonderful afternoon with so many of my friends and relations, together for the first time in about 20 years; it was wonderful.
You may also want to watch:
I went home with a lovely memory to hold with me for a long time, and was exhausted. I hadn't had a party like that since my childhood. Thanks to everyone who made it so memorable.
Mrs E PIGGIN
- 1 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 2 Man staged his own kidnap to get ransom from his family
- 3 Watch our virtual tour of Pleasure Beach's new Snails and Fairytales ride
- 4 Council to splash out £1.9m on Great Yarmouth town centre
- 5 Hotel and restaurant for sale for £150,000 less two years on
- 6 Trio from Great Yarmouth charged with Norwich betting shop robbery
- 7 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 8 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
- 9 Woman's appeal against condition on pub conversion rejected
- 10 Deliveroo to launch in Great Yarmouth with 45 restaurants signed up