On February 16, it was my 90th birthday and I thought everyone had forgotten about it, and although I kept on reminding people I didn't get much response.
On February 16, it was my 90th birthday and I thought everyone had forgotten about it, and although I kept on reminding people I didn't get much response. But unbeknown to me, my daughter was organising a surprise party and it was “shhhh don't say a word to Ethel.”
My daughter said she couldn't do much as it fell on a Monday and she works full time, so she told me that she would, together with my grandson take me out for my tea on the Sunday. I didn't in my wildest dreams expect what was about to happen next, although my daughter had been asking a few strange questions at times.
On the Sunday, my grandson arrived to take me “to tea” at the Furzedown Hotel where my daughter would meet me there and then, as the doors opened to the dining room, I was faced by a sea of faces, some 65 in all, many who had travelled to be at my party.
I was spellbound and speechless to see these people, some who I hadn't seen in a lot of years. I had a wonderful afternoon with so many of my friends and relations, together for the first time in about 20 years; it was wonderful.
I went home with a lovely memory to hold with me for a long time, and was exhausted. I hadn't had a party like that since my childhood. Thanks to everyone who made it so memorable.
Mrs E PIGGIN
- 1 Hunted winner reveals show secrets in Instagram diary
- 2 Football club fined and chairman suspended over FA breaches
- 3 'Sold as seen' - two-bed house gutted by fire goes on the market
- 4 Quaint Caister cottage fixer-upper goes under the hammer
- 5 Multiple fire crews tackle overnight blaze in Norfolk home
- 6 Lifeboat crew rescues woman from Great Yarmouth river
- 7 Plea as ducklings routinely snatched by killer seagulls
- 8 'Handful' of people kicked out of Norfolk cinema amid Minions TikTok craze
- 9 GP wished they could have done more for man found dead at home
- 10 'Historic' ground share agreement sealed for season