WINTERTON: Lifeboat returns to dunes after 90 years
- Credit: Archant
The Edward Birkbeck lifeboat returned to Winterton Dunes for the first time in almost 90 years at the weekend.
The Winterton No 1 Lifeboat, operating from 1896 to 1925, was sold off when the RNLI closed the village lifeboat station in 1925 and was eventually rescued in a sorry state by the Winterton-on-Sea Lifeboat Restoration Group from Conwy Harbour in North Wales and returned home for restoration in March 2012.
The project work hit a hitch last September when the group lost its temporary home and she had to go into winter storage. But at the weekend she was towed to the Beach Car Park and in the wonderful sunshine lots of residents and visitors alike got a close-up look at her and found out more about her eventful life.
They also heard about the project to restore her and the plan to build a Heritage Centre on the site of the old Dunes lifeboat station where the restoration work can continue alongside a display reflecting the rich maritime and social history of Winterton.
Around £350 was raised towards the cause over the two days.
Bev Kay, chairman of the lifeboat restoration group, said: “It is also hoped to build a temporary structure around the Edward Birkbeck in the coming weeks so that restoration work can resume for the summer and new volunteers are always very welcome.”
Anyone interested can call Bev Kay on 01493 394954.
- 1 Five Great Yarmouth properties with stunning sea views
- 2 Council apologises to tenant who lived in mouldy house for years
- 3 Elderly driver taken to hospital after village green crash
- 4 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 5 Brick thrown through window in spate of burglaries in Great Yarmouth area
- 6 Teen who achieved salon dream is national award finalist
- 7 'We need to live our lives' - Mercury survey reveals Covid impact
- 8 Drone crashed into lake in Norfolk during filming for new Keith Lemon show
- 9 Great Yarmouth businesses urged to claim for Covid support funds
- 10 Great Yarmouth in 2022 - Key trends to look out for this year
Click here for more Village Life http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/great-yarmouth-life/village-life