WINTERTON: Lifeboat returns to dunes after 90 years
- Credit: Archant
The Edward Birkbeck lifeboat returned to Winterton Dunes for the first time in almost 90 years at the weekend.
The Winterton No 1 Lifeboat, operating from 1896 to 1925, was sold off when the RNLI closed the village lifeboat station in 1925 and was eventually rescued in a sorry state by the Winterton-on-Sea Lifeboat Restoration Group from Conwy Harbour in North Wales and returned home for restoration in March 2012.
The project work hit a hitch last September when the group lost its temporary home and she had to go into winter storage. But at the weekend she was towed to the Beach Car Park and in the wonderful sunshine lots of residents and visitors alike got a close-up look at her and found out more about her eventful life.
They also heard about the project to restore her and the plan to build a Heritage Centre on the site of the old Dunes lifeboat station where the restoration work can continue alongside a display reflecting the rich maritime and social history of Winterton.
Around £350 was raised towards the cause over the two days.
You may also want to watch:
Bev Kay, chairman of the lifeboat restoration group, said: “It is also hoped to build a temporary structure around the Edward Birkbeck in the coming weeks so that restoration work can resume for the summer and new volunteers are always very welcome.”
Anyone interested can call Bev Kay on 01493 394954.
- 1 'Business as usual' as shopping mall enters administration
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Another Norfolk branch of Outfit shuts for good among 31 more closures
- 4 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 5 Town centre post office closed as staff self-isolate
- 6 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 7 Investigation into 'particularly severe' case of fly-tipping
- 8 Killer shrimp 'no-fishing' barriers torn down by vandals in the Broads
- 9 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 10 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
Click here for more Village Life http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/great-yarmouth-life/village-life