A dog welfare charity has issued a warning to pet owners after a dangerous substance was found on a beach in Norfolk. 

The Dogs Trust made the statement after palm oil was found on Great Yarmouth beach by Michelle Lawrence.

She found it along the shoreline from Jellicoe Road up to the Caister lifeboat building on June 9.

Appearing as several hard, opaque lumps, palm oil can also be white and waxy.

Great Yarmouth Mercury: Lumps of hard palm oil have been found on a beach in NorfolkLumps of hard palm oil have been found on a beach in Norfolk (Image: Michelle Lawrence)

A Dogs Trust spokesman said: "If a dog were to ingest significant amounts of the solid oil, this may present a risk of gastrointestinal obstruction.

"Ingestion of palm oil may also result in symptoms such as stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhoea or pancreatitis due to its high-fat content.

READ MORE: What is saltwater toxicity and why is it dangerous for your dog?

"We would recommend that if a dog owner ever has concerns that their dog may have ingested palm oil, they should speak with their vet practice, who will be best placed to advise on what action to take."

The oil is especially harmful to young or small dogs who may experience severe dehydration and owners are advised to remain vigilant.