Search

At least 16 dogs eat rat poison at Broads car park

PUBLISHED: 08:41 29 June 2018 | UPDATED: 13:56 29 June 2018

One of the dogs poisoned was Weimraner Molly.
Picture: Sue Eltringham

One of the dogs poisoned was Weimraner Molly. Picture: Sue Eltringham

Archant

At least 16 dogs are reported to have been taken ill after eating rat poison at a Broads car park.

The suspected rat poison
Picture: Sue EltringhamThe suspected rat poison Picture: Sue Eltringham

The rat poison incident at Upton Dyke, near Acle, happened around June 20 and was highlighted by dog owner Sue Eltringham, who runs Acle-based Coastal Village Pet Care.

She had been out walking some dogs at Upton Dyke when they ate a substance they found in bushes by its car park.

Four of the dogs were taken to a vet who treated them by making them sick and giving them vitamin K.

Mrs Eltringham then paid for the substance to be tested and it turned out to be rat poison.

A drum placed over the suspected and a warning sign
Picture: Sue EltringhamA drum placed over the suspected and a warning sign Picture: Sue Eltringham

She has also discovered that other dogs had consumed the poison, with at least 16 effected.

She said: “I can now confirm that the substance the dogs ate was indeed rat poison.

“My own local vet treated 16 dogs for rat poisoning over the two days we know the poison was there.

“I am aware that some dogs have also been treated at other vets in the area.

“My understanding is that it has now been removed. The car park is run by the parish council.

“The poison was apparently dumped in the bushes, posing a danger not just to the 16 dogs we know of but also to wildlife and even at a push to human life.

“I paid to have the substance tested via our vet and she was able to confirm that it was rat poison and further testing is being carried out to identify the poison further.

“Our dogs are not yet out of the woods and are still taking medication and have had blood tests and will need more testing in a few weeks.

“The long term effects of this can be serious or fatal.”

Mrs Eltringham added she had informed the police twice about the poison being dumped and it was unclear if an offence had been committed.

Broadland District Council had offered support to the parish council to remove the poison.

The incident had also seen Mrs Eltringham putting up warning signs and a member of the public covering the substance with a metal drum container.

Related articles

Other News

6 minutes ago

Emergency services were called to Great Yarmouth town centre after a disused lamp post caught fire on Monday afternoon.

34 minutes ago

A primary school in Great Yarmouth has been praised by Ofsted for helping pupils “settle, thrive and make good progress”.

54 minutes ago

A woman thought she was going to die as her ex-partner stamped on her head twice and broke her nose, a court heard.

A woman who was wanted by police on recall to prison has been found in Great Yarmouth.

Most Read

A road rage incident in Great Yarmouth saw a man leave his car and try and get into another driver’s car when it was stopped at traffic lights.

Read more

A woman who was wanted by police on recall to prison has been found in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Norfolk Police

A broken down car is causing delays on the A47 towards Norwich as police have partially closed one lane.

Read more
Norfolk Police
07:44

Norfolk’s main roads are slowly clogging up as a record number of vehicles take to the streets.

Read more
County Council

A number of newborn seal pups have been spotted rolling and playing in the sand at a beach in Norfolk as the pupping season gets into full swing.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 5°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Subscribe

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy