At least 16 dogs eat rat poison at Broads car park
- Credit: Archant
At least 16 dogs are reported to have been taken ill after eating rat poison at a Broads car park.
The rat poison incident at Upton Dyke, near Acle, happened around June 20 and was highlighted by dog owner Sue Eltringham, who runs Acle-based Coastal Village Pet Care.
She had been out walking some dogs at Upton Dyke when they ate a substance they found in bushes by its car park.
Four of the dogs were taken to a vet who treated them by making them sick and giving them vitamin K.
Mrs Eltringham then paid for the substance to be tested and it turned out to be rat poison.
She has also discovered that other dogs had consumed the poison, with at least 16 effected.
She said: “I can now confirm that the substance the dogs ate was indeed rat poison.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 3 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 4 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 7 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 8 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
“My own local vet treated 16 dogs for rat poisoning over the two days we know the poison was there.
“I am aware that some dogs have also been treated at other vets in the area.
“My understanding is that it has now been removed. The car park is run by the parish council.
“The poison was apparently dumped in the bushes, posing a danger not just to the 16 dogs we know of but also to wildlife and even at a push to human life.
“I paid to have the substance tested via our vet and she was able to confirm that it was rat poison and further testing is being carried out to identify the poison further.
“Our dogs are not yet out of the woods and are still taking medication and have had blood tests and will need more testing in a few weeks.
“The long term effects of this can be serious or fatal.”
Mrs Eltringham added she had informed the police twice about the poison being dumped and it was unclear if an offence had been committed.
Broadland District Council had offered support to the parish council to remove the poison.
The incident had also seen Mrs Eltringham putting up warning signs and a member of the public covering the substance with a metal drum container.