A new lead chaplain at James Paget Hospital
- Credit: Submitted
A new lead chaplain has been announced at the James Paget.
The Revd Helen Garrard was licensed as lead chaplain of the hospital at a service conducted by The Bishop of Lynn, the Rt Revd. Jonathan Meyrick, in the Hospital Chapel on Tuesday.
Helen, from near Manchester, trained as nurse in the 1980s. She spent 10 years as a specialist palliative care nurse at the Priscilla Bacon Lodge in Norwich.
Alongside her nursing career Helen trained first as a reader and for many years Helen combined her nursing work with her ongoing vocational development.
After finishing her ministerial training and theology degree she was ordained as deacon and then priest in Norwich in 2012. She then completed her curacy she took up the position of lead chaplain to Norfolk Community Health and Care NHS Trust.
Helen said: “I’m delighted and deeply privileged to commence this work at the James Paget University Hospitals. Spiritual care is vital to our well-being, especially at times of sickness and distress. I am very grateful to my predecessor, the Revd Marilyn Zipfel for all her hard work.
“There are many faithful and committed chaplains and chaplaincy volunteers working within my department and I look forward to having a key role in the development of the care we offer as a Chaplaincy service to patients, families and staff within the Hospital community.”
- 1 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 2 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 3 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 4 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 5 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 6 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 7 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
Director of nursing Julia Hunt said: “this was an important day for the hospital which not only saw the licensing of our new Lead Chaplain but also bought together representatives from different faiths within the local community.
“We would like to thank the Rt Revd Jonathan Merrick for delivering a wonderful ceremony.”