Acle Straight closed following crash
A STRETCH of the A47 has reopened after a head-on crash between a car and a lorry in the early hours of this morning.The accident happened just before 5am on the Acle Straight, near the Tunstall bridge.
A WOMAN driver died following a road accident on the Acle Straight near Tunstall bridge in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday).
The head-on crash involved a car travelling towards Yarmouth and a Mercedes HGV going in the opposite direction, happened just before 5am.
One person was trapped and had to be released by fire crews from great Yarmouth and Acle, who used hydraulic rescue equipment.
The female driver of a Skoda Fabia was unconscious and taken by ambulance to the James Paget University Hospital. She died in hospital a short while later.
You may also want to watch:
Police closed the road in both directions between the A1064 and A12, diverting traffic through Filby. It was reopened at about 10.45am.
The accident was the latest in a string of crashes on the A47. On Thursday, October 8, there were two separate crashes on opposite sides of the carriageway on the dual carriageway near the A140 junction.
- 1 Norfolk boxer turns pro after winning fight against bullies
- 2 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 3 Land 'on fringe' of popular Norfolk village set for auction
- 4 New £14m special education school opens after two-year build
- 5 Great Yarmouth's Portuguese residents' share love for 'second home'
- 6 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 7 Apartment blocks close to seafront set for auction
- 8 Norfolk man wins electric motorcycle worth £12,000
- 9 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 10 Bin collection days to change across Great Yarmouth area
The Acle Straight has also been notorious for accidents with campaigners calling for the stretch of road to be dualled.
Police are appealing for witnesses to contact Sgt Paul Sturman at Acle Roads Policing on 0845 456 4567.