Advice to prevent thatch fires
Firefighters in Norfolk have called on thatched property owners to take extra care as they use their wood burners and chimneys for the first time this winter.
Between April 2009 and June 2010 there were eight thatched building fires in the county, each costing more than �40,000 in fire service costs.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service has teamed up with colleagues across East Anglia to promote fire safety in thatched properties and have produced the Thatched Property Safety Guide.
Doug Underwood, from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, said 90pc of thatch fires were caused by faults in the flue or chimney and were preventable.
“The emotional and financial cost of a thatch fire can be particularly high and we are determined to try and work with owners to prevent such fires from happening in the first place. Together with our colleagues across the region we developed the Thatched Property Safety Guide, which we hope will help reduce fires in these types of properties. Working together has given us an opportunity to pool valuable resources and help us get these important messages out to the public across our region,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Thatch owners are recommended to sweep their chimney regularly, install smoke detectors in the roof space, avoid having bonfires nearby, and regularly check the roof for vermin.
For more information, visit www.norfolkfireservice.gov.uk or call 0800 917 8137.
- 1 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 4 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 6 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 7 Road shuts in Great Yarmouth after crash involving two cars
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Woman suffers fatal heart attack in ambulance outside Paget
- 10 'How can they do this to mum' - Anger as 87-year-old dumped at care home