Aids threat man jailed
A self-confessed alcoholic kicked a police constable after his arrest and then spat at him, shouting: “I have got Aids and you are going to get it”.John Smith, 37, admitted assaulting a constable in the execution of his duty and being drunk and disorderly.
A self-confessed alcoholic kicked a police constable after his arrest and then spat at him, shouting: “I have got Aids and you are going to get it”.
John Smith, 37, admitted assaulting a constable in the execution of his duty and being drunk and disorderly.
When Smith appeared at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court yesterday, the chairman of the bench told him that custody was the only option and sentenced him to 28 weeks - including 10 weeks of a suspended sentence for previous offences.
Alan Wheetman, prosecuting, said Smith was drunk after consuming more than a bottle of whisky when he went to McColls store in Yarmouth, on February 3. He was staggering around, knocking into shelves and after leaving the shop continued causing a nuisance.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called and put Smith inside their vehicle where he was abusive, lashing out between the seats with his foot, kicking PC John Blackburn in the kidney area, and spitting.
Annette Hall, mitigating, said Smith, of Mardle Road, Toft Monks, near Beccles had started drinking at the age of 13 but desperately wanted to stop because he wanted to have a life.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 3 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 4 Covid jab centre receives additional vaccination stocks
- 5 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Historical clock restored after sitting in cellar for 60 years
- 9 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 10 'It was so lovely' - Father and daughter finally reunited after year apart