All quiet on council planning front

The powerful borough council committee that meets monthly to consider all the latest and most controversial planning applications has been cancelled for the third time this year.

The powerful borough council committee that meets monthly to consider all the latest and most controversial planning applications has been cancelled for the third time this year.

Although officers have been kept busy with a steady stream of domestic applications for extensions - possibly suggesting a trend to add rooms rather than move house - there are noticeably fewer larger proposals, and an attendant drop in revenue.

Peter Warner, head of planning policy at Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said there were no items significant or contentious enough to warrant a development control meeting on Tuesday with most applications decided at officer level.

He said the 6pc dip in the number of applications meant a drop in income for the authority - bolstered however by the Hemsby windfarm application which brought in around �11,000.


You may also want to watch:


The planning department had received around 600 applications since January, mostly comprising extensions, garden walls and change of use.

“It is the larger ones like industrial units that are in short supply because it is difficult for large companies who may be holding back until they see a brighter future. We have cancelled a couple of committees in the last year and what we have taken to committee has been relatively minor. The next big one will probably be the windfarm and that will be in December. November will be quite quiet,” Mr Warner.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus