Ambulance call for musical fundraiser
Dominic Bareham A caravan park owner's bid to raise cash for the air ambulance was given added impetus after a helicopter landed at his Caister site.Donald Peers, who runs Grasmere Caravan Park, called the emergency services after one of his regular customers collapsed with suspected gallstones on Saturday .
A caravan park owner's bid to raise cash for the air ambulance was given added impetus after a helicopter landed at his Caister site.
Donald Peers, who runs Grasmere Caravan Park, called the emergency services after one of his regular customers collapsed with suspected gallstones on Saturday .
The 59-year-olds first encounter with the helicopter came as he geared up for a fundraising performance of the musical Blessed Be, which involves vocalists and choir members from churches across the Great Yarmouth borough - strengthening his resolve to support the service which relies on public support.
He said: “I was not expecting to have an encounter with an air ambulance when I will be fundraising for them in a week's time.”
Staff at the site had to clear a space to enable the helicopter to land, which was only possible because of a downturn in Easter trade caused by the cold snap.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 3 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 9 Winterton beach poses as Sydney's Bondi in new movie
- 10 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
“I was unloading some equipment and got a message from my staff saying a gentleman had been taken ill at the park and could we arrange an ambulance. The next message said, 'Can you land an ambulance here?' I said, 'Are you having a laugh?'”
The chopper had been diverted to the site at Bultitudes Loke at 11am because it was already in the area, having attended a casualty in Yarmouth, and no land ambulances were available.
The paramedics assessed the situation and decided the holidaymaker could go by land ambulance to Gorleston's James Paget Hospital where he was discharged the following day (Sunday March 30).
Mr Peers will be appearing in Blessed Be-The Musical which will be staged at the Piazza Showbar at the Marina Centre in Yarmouth over three nights starting next Thursday , at 7.30pm each night.
Funds will go to support the air ambulance and the homeless charity Shelter.
Mr Peers' caravan park has 60 static caravans and space for 46 touring caravans.