Anglers raise cash for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A charity fishing match at Snakes Meadow Fishery, Stokesby, in remembrance of a young club member who was killed in an accident raised a massive £3,001 - £2,000 more than the target!
The annual match was held in July in memory of Caister boy Matthew Eckett, specifically to raise funds to donate to a local charity which, for the past two years, has been allocated to the Big C, the choice of Matthews’s mother and other club members.
Apart from an entry fee, some of the fishermen taking part were sponsored.
Local businesses - from supermarkets, holiday attractions, football clubs, general stores to nationwide angling magazines, fishing tackle dealers and manufacturers made donations of offered a prize for the raffle.
One of the organisers, and a cancer sufferer herself, Sandi Brumell said: “Without the generosity of these companies etc, the fishermen and their sponsorship, the bailiffs for their help with the barbecue, beverages, and organisations plus the public who purchased the raffle tickets, this figure would have certainly not been realised.”
The cheque was presented to Great Yarmouth Big C centre manager Jane Manning, by Keith Hooker, proprietor of Snakes Meadow Fishery, Sandi and Mike Brumell and Gareth Cork.
Jane gave up her Saturday to attend the charity match taking along display boards and talking to anglers fishing on the lake.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 5 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 8 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 9 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
For more details about Big C go to firstname.lastname@example.org/about-us/
Picture: Sandra Brumell