Approval for Bradwell housing plan

A HOUSING plan for a Bradwell garden has won approval despite local opposition. It was the fifth time the scheme for a dwelling in the grounds of Cedar Croft, Mill Lane, had been before planners with members previously refusing it on highways grounds.

The scheme had prompted concerns from neighbours about “garden grabbing” which they said was contrary to Government thinking as outlined by communities secretary Eric Pickles, degraded the area and send out the wrong signal to other developers.

Brian Hoare who aired local opposition at Tuesday’s development control meeting said he was “demoralised and bemused” by the officer recommendation to approve, which ignored the views of local people who hadn’t had time to comment. He said neighbours had sent in at least 30 letters over two years objecting to the proposals ranging from a house, a bungalow to a four bed-room family chalet. He added: “We have been extremely upset and put in a state of high anxiety... We consider this latest proposal as an attempt to thwart the principle we understood to mean, that building on Cedar Croft’s garden had been ruled out in its last refusal.

“Approving this development would send out the signal that persistence to build, by hook or by crook, on gardens can be overcome.”

Trevor Wainwright said garden development was “beyond a joke” in the village. “I think it is appalling they are building on every bit of land in Bradwell,” he said. “It is back-land development in a different guise.”

Mick Castle, however, said: “This is the latest application on this plot. The previous ones all fell at the access issue. Now that has been sorted we have to look at what is in front of us.”

Members voted to approve the proposal which involves flipping Cedar Croft and creating a new entrance on Lark Way.

Most Read

Committee chairman Charles Reynolds said the site was “an obvious building plot.” A spokesman for the applicant said the current householder could not cope with the large garden.