Army trip for Andrew
A GREAT Yarmouth teenager has been selected from students from across the country to join a summer expedition to Greenland. Andrew Hewitt is one of a group of 13 taking part in five week trip organised by the Army and the British Schools Exploring Society.
A GREAT Yarmouth teenager has been selected from students from across the country to join a summer expedition to Greenland.
Andrew Hewitt is one of a group of 13 taking part in five week trip organised by the Army and the British Schools Exploring Society.
All of the students are on the Army Further Education Bursary Scheme launched last September.
Leaving on July 20, 16 year old Andrew will be part of an expedition visiting south west Greenland.
Based at a camp 50 km from the nearest town, they will take part in fieldwork projects, particularly monitoring climate change.
The group will explore the glaciers and ice cap, practice crevasse rescue and use camp craft.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 Taxi driver hopes to be named Miss Voluptuous UK
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 5 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 6 New performing arts studio is something to sing about for Gabriella, 21
- 7 Man charged in connection with coastal village burglaries
- 8 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 9 Pregnancy loss charity opens Great Yarmouth support hub
- 10 Lovely jubbly! Only Fools and Horses tribute show heads to town
Andrew is studying public services at Great Yarmouth College and plans to join the Royal Anglians when he finishes his course in 2011
He said: “This is such an unexpected and amazing opportunity. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this is what I would be doing this summer.”
The students have had to raise �500 towards the total cost of �3,000. As well as helping to finance the students, the Army is also supplying them with much of the equipment that they will need.