Army trip for Andrew
A GREAT Yarmouth teenager has been selected from students from across the country to join a summer expedition to Greenland. Andrew Hewitt is one of a group of 13 taking part in five week trip organised by the Army and the British Schools Exploring Society.
A GREAT Yarmouth teenager has been selected from students from across the country to join a summer expedition to Greenland.
Andrew Hewitt is one of a group of 13 taking part in five week trip organised by the Army and the British Schools Exploring Society.
All of the students are on the Army Further Education Bursary Scheme launched last September.
Leaving on July 20, 16 year old Andrew will be part of an expedition visiting south west Greenland.
You may also want to watch:
Based at a camp 50 km from the nearest town, they will take part in fieldwork projects, particularly monitoring climate change.
The group will explore the glaciers and ice cap, practice crevasse rescue and use camp craft.
- 1 New twist in Star Hotel saga as it changes hands for just £1,000
- 2 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 3 New Banksy-style mural adds to town's crop of street art
- 4 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 5 65,000 attend Out There Festival
- 6 National newspaper names Great Yarmouth as a top autumn destination
- 7 Photo gallery: Memories of the lost lido at Gorleston seafront
- 8 Man sought help for ADHD before his death, inquest hears
- 9 Mother's shock at son's inquest over lack of mental health improvements
- 10 New street art supports City of Culture bid
Andrew is studying public services at Great Yarmouth College and plans to join the Royal Anglians when he finishes his course in 2011
He said: “This is such an unexpected and amazing opportunity. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this is what I would be doing this summer.”
The students have had to raise �500 towards the total cost of �3,000. As well as helping to finance the students, the Army is also supplying them with much of the equipment that they will need.