Array of vessels to join forces for Yarmouth visit
- Credit: Archant
A selection of impressive vessels will be coming to Great Yarmouth for a grand collection.
The Second World War torpedo boat MTB 102, will be arriving in town on Wednesday with HM patrol craft Explorer and Trumpeter.
Also visiting the town will be the Norfolk Broads motor cruiser Broad Ambition along with several other private crafts.
The idea was the brainchild of Charlie Griffin, the skipper of the Broad Ambition. He said his plan was to get the Broad Ambition alongside the HMS Explorer, but those plans soon developed to get even more vessels alongside them.
He added: “I was part of the renovation of the Broad Ambition and was part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012.
“I also served on the HMS Explorer from 1994 to 1997 whilst serving in the Royal Navy.
“I have long had it on my bucket list to get the Broads Ambition together with the Explorer but for various reasons it has never happened – until now.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 6 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 10 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
“The current commanding officer of HMS Explorer kindly agreed to this get-together, explaining the Trumpeter would also be in
“That then developed into also bringing along the MTB 102 and some private craft also on board.
“I think it will be an impressive sight to see them all together.”
Mr Griffin said that people will be able to watch the boats from anywhere they choose along the river bank.
The timetable depending on the movements of the Royal Navy vessels is as follows:
Wednesday, July 20
3.30pm - MTB 102 to show up from the south, and the Broads Ambition and other craft to show up via the River Bure
3.45pm - MTB 102, Broad Ambition and a few private craft meet up off the breakwater and gather in formation with HMS Explorer and Trumpeter.
4pm - Boats to enter the breakwaters and proceed up river to South Quay.
4.45pm - Cllr Malcolm Bird, the mayor of Great Yarmouth to meet the craft on arrival of berthing.
Thursday, July 21:
9am - All craft to proceed for photo and filming
11am - Explorer and Trumpeter to sail north, Broad Ambition to sail to Lowestoft and enter Oulton Broad via Mutford Lock. Private crafts will either sail to Lowestoft or back to Yarmouth.