Award for Brundall star
Young sports stars who have received a grant to help them pursue their dreams have been recognised for their achievements.Broadland District Council has awarded hundreds of pounds worth of grants to 109 young people as part of its Sponsorship for Excellence scheme.
Young sports stars who have received a grant to help them pursue their dreams have been recognised for their achievements.
Broadland District Council has awarded hundreds of pounds worth of grants to 109 young people as part of its Sponsorship for Excellence scheme.
The grants are available to young people and adults who perform at county level or above in their sport to help them with the costs of equipment and competing.
To celebrate the achievements of those who have benefited from the scheme in 2008/09, 25 of the youngsters were invited to the 2009 Broadland Sports Recognition Evening last Friday.
You may also want to watch:
On the night, the young people were joined by boxer Jon Thaxton.
Michael Horner, 12, from Brundall, was given �190 to help fund his trip to Portugal with the roller hockey team where he trained and played with the England squad. He hopes to take part in the world championships in 2013.
- 1 Police arrest man in Gorleston murder probe
- 2 Opening date confirmed for new Sports Direct in town's former M&S
- 3 Murder victim's brother: 'Please help find my beloved sister's killer'
- 4 Man stabbed victim in chest with screwdriver at cemetery
- 5 'Trauma cafe' taking shape in former high street electrical shop
- 6 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 7 Sinkhole appears on busy coastal bus route in Gorleston
- 8 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 9 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 10 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
He said: “I was really happy to get the grant from Broadland. Without this help I would not have got the experience I needed to succeed in my chosen sport.”
Since the scheme began in 2004, more than �33,500 has been allocated to Broadland athletes to help them with their chosen sports.
Anyone who lives in the Broadland District Council area who is interested in putting their details forward for the “Sponsorship for Excellence” scheme, should call Maria Alborough on 01603 430570.