Award for Brundall star
Young sports stars who have received a grant to help them pursue their dreams have been recognised for their achievements.Broadland District Council has awarded hundreds of pounds worth of grants to 109 young people as part of its Sponsorship for Excellence scheme.
Young sports stars who have received a grant to help them pursue their dreams have been recognised for their achievements.
Broadland District Council has awarded hundreds of pounds worth of grants to 109 young people as part of its Sponsorship for Excellence scheme.
The grants are available to young people and adults who perform at county level or above in their sport to help them with the costs of equipment and competing.
To celebrate the achievements of those who have benefited from the scheme in 2008/09, 25 of the youngsters were invited to the 2009 Broadland Sports Recognition Evening last Friday.
On the night, the young people were joined by boxer Jon Thaxton.
Michael Horner, 12, from Brundall, was given �190 to help fund his trip to Portugal with the roller hockey team where he trained and played with the England squad. He hopes to take part in the world championships in 2013.
- 1 Hunted winner reveals show secrets in Instagram diary
- 2 Plea as ducklings routinely snatched by killer seagulls
- 3 Lifeboat crew rescues woman from Great Yarmouth river
- 4 'Historic' ground share agreement sealed for season
- 5 GP wished they could have done more for man found dead at home
- 6 Football club president is face known to thousand of Hippodrome fans
- 7 From classic cars to monster trucks - Wheels Festival draws thousands
- 8 Roadworks to know about in Great Yarmouth and Gorleston this week
- 9 Former BBC Three comedian coming to Gorleston venue
- 10 Hair salon on the hunt for local heroes to thank
He said: “I was really happy to get the grant from Broadland. Without this help I would not have got the experience I needed to succeed in my chosen sport.”
Since the scheme began in 2004, more than �33,500 has been allocated to Broadland athletes to help them with their chosen sports.
Anyone who lives in the Broadland District Council area who is interested in putting their details forward for the “Sponsorship for Excellence” scheme, should call Maria Alborough on 01603 430570.