BBC country series focuses on Broads
The tranquil river ways of the Norfolk Broads are set to star in the BBC's flagship Countryfile programme on Sunday.Presenters Julia Bradbury and Matt Baker spent two days this week sailing on the Broads and discovering how the region has been enhanced and protected over the last 20 years with the formation of the Broads Authority.
The tranquil river ways of the Norfolk Broads are set to star in the BBC's flagship Countryfile programme on Sunday.
Presenters Julia Bradbury and Matt Baker spent two days this week sailing on the Broads and discovering how the region has been enhanced and protected over the last 20 years with the formation of the Broads Authority.
Julia will be seen taking part in the Thurne Mouth Open Regatta in the 102-year-old river cruiser Martlet and Matt will be shown taking the helm of the historic Albion wherry and interviewing its skipper Paul Gowman.
Mr Gowman said: “Matt was enchanted. They all were. They were really wrapped up in it and taken with the shape of the sail, which the cameraman went to great lengths to capture.”
You may also want to watch:
The show also features the work of trainee millwrights and reed and sedge cutters and clips of a plant survey on the thriving Rollesby Broad will be broadcast.
Also included in the Broads special are the threat of climate change and flooding to the area and the role of the Broad Authority's first chief executive Aitken Clark.
- 1 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 2 Norfolk boxer turns pro after winning fight against bullies
- 3 Land 'on fringe' of popular Norfolk village set for auction
- 4 New £14m special education school opens after two-year build
- 5 Great Yarmouth's Portuguese residents' share love for 'second home'
- 6 Norfolk man wins electric motorcycle worth £12,000
- 7 Apartment blocks close to seafront set for auction
- 8 'I want to help as many people as I can' - Caister student's song for mental health
- 9 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 10 Bin collection days to change across Great Yarmouth area
Countryfile director Andrew Painten said: “We choose to reflect on the Broads as it is sure to be of interest to people elsewhere in the country.”
Sunday's broadcast on BBC1 starts at 7.30pm and its popular host John Craven will be presenting a national piece on the lack of affordable homes in rural communities.