Be aware of Yarmouth waste con
RESIDENTS in the Yarmouth borough are being alerted to cowboy operators who are charging to take rubbish away and then fly-tipping it.Householders are being cold-called by men offering to remove rubbish for a few pounds or to carry out full garden or house clearances.
RESIDENTS in the Yarmouth borough are being alerted to cowboy operators who are charging to take rubbish away and then fly-tipping it.
Householders are being cold-called by men offering to remove rubbish for a few pounds or to carry out full garden or house clearances.
However, in a number a number of recent instances the rubbish has been taken and then flytipped - sometimes literally being dumped within view of the person's home.
Paul Shucksmith, the borough council's senior environmental ranger, said: “What residents may not be aware of is that legislation stipulates that householders have a duty to ensure that anyone taking waste from their homes is properly licensed to carry out the work.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately, these unlicensed operators can leave their customers facing the possibility of a court appearance and a fine of up to �5,000.”
To help householders avoid falling prey to unlicensed operators the council offers the following advice:
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 3 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 4 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 6 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 7 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 8 'Road to nowhere' after erosion streak at Winterton
- 9 How Great Yarmouth are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 New vintage store opens bigger premises
Check if the person removing the waste is registered and ask to see their waste carrier licence
If they claim they are licensed but they cannot produce the document or only have their licence number, call the Environment Agency on 08708 506506 and request an instant Waste Carrier Validation Check or check online at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/publicregister
If possible, keep a record of the details of the company and the registration plate of the vehicle used to remove the waste. If your rubbish is then illegally disposed of this information can be passed to the Council for further investigation.
If the individuals cannot produce a licence, are not registered or if you have any doubts or concerns about the service offered please pass the details onto the Council on 01493 846478 or the Environment Agency on 08708 506506.