Be aware of Yarmouth waste con
RESIDENTS in the Yarmouth borough are being alerted to cowboy operators who are charging to take rubbish away and then fly-tipping it.Householders are being cold-called by men offering to remove rubbish for a few pounds or to carry out full garden or house clearances.
RESIDENTS in the Yarmouth borough are being alerted to cowboy operators who are charging to take rubbish away and then fly-tipping it.
Householders are being cold-called by men offering to remove rubbish for a few pounds or to carry out full garden or house clearances.
However, in a number a number of recent instances the rubbish has been taken and then flytipped - sometimes literally being dumped within view of the person's home.
Paul Shucksmith, the borough council's senior environmental ranger, said: “What residents may not be aware of is that legislation stipulates that householders have a duty to ensure that anyone taking waste from their homes is properly licensed to carry out the work.
“Unfortunately, these unlicensed operators can leave their customers facing the possibility of a court appearance and a fine of up to �5,000.”
To help householders avoid falling prey to unlicensed operators the council offers the following advice:
- 1 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 2 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 3 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
- 4 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 7 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 8 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 9 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 10 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
Check if the person removing the waste is registered and ask to see their waste carrier licence
If they claim they are licensed but they cannot produce the document or only have their licence number, call the Environment Agency on 08708 506506 and request an instant Waste Carrier Validation Check or check online at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/publicregister
If possible, keep a record of the details of the company and the registration plate of the vehicle used to remove the waste. If your rubbish is then illegally disposed of this information can be passed to the Council for further investigation.
If the individuals cannot produce a licence, are not registered or if you have any doubts or concerns about the service offered please pass the details onto the Council on 01493 846478 or the Environment Agency on 08708 506506.