Beach rescue drama
A HOLIDAYMAKER was rescued off the coast of Great Yarmouth this morning after the inflatable dinghy he was in was swept away by strong winds. Yarmouth Coastguard was alerted at about 9.
A HOLIDAYMAKER was rescued off the coast of Great Yarmouth this morning after the inflatable dinghy he was in was swept away by strong winds.
Yarmouth Coastguard was alerted at about 9.20am by a member of the public who witnessed the man jumping out of the dinghy into the sea. The man struggled to swim ashore and began shouting for help.
As the Yarmouth and Gorleston RNLI lifeboat was launched the man managed to alter his family and his daughters' 16-year-old boyfriend bravely swam out to sea and brought the 42-year-old ashore.
The man received first aid from coastguards and members of the lifeboat crew before being taken to the James Paget University Hospital for further treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Coastguard watch manager Peter Wheeler said: “The initial caller undoubtedly saved this man's life with his clear and prompt report on the situation and allowed us to get a lifeboat on scene very quickly. The young man who went in after the casualty behaved in a very courageous manner, placing himself at considerable risk, but we would not normally recommend such action, particularly when the rescue services are only moments away.”
Mr Wheeler added: “We would also like to remind the public that these inflatable dinghies are very dangerous if not tethered to the shore. If anyone, child or adult should find themselves being washed away, their dinghy becomes their lifeboat and they should remain on board for as long as possible.”
- 1 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 6 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 8 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say