Belt up say police
OFFICERS from Norfolk Constabulary are urging motorists and passengers in Great Yarmouth and across the county to belt up ahead of a week long seatbelt enforcement campaign which starts today, Monday, February 16.
OFFICERS from Norfolk Constabulary are urging motorists and passengers in Great Yarmouth and across the county to belt up in a week long seatbelt enforcement campaign which is running until Sunday
The initiative is supporting the Europe-wide TISPOL (European Traffic Police Network) seatbelt enforcement campaign.. The aim is to raise awareness of how many collision-related injuries can be prevented by the wearing of seatbelts, which is now compulsory in most European countries.
Officers will be conducting checks on motorists and their passengers throughout the county, those who are found not wearing seatbelts will be issued fixed penalty notices of �30.
Casualty reduction officer, PC Michael Edney, said: “Most motorists realise the importance of wearing a seat belt, but those who don't are not only putting themselves in danger of death and serious injury but also there passengers. It is always the driver's responsibility to ensure that children are properly restrained.
“This campaign is important to highlight the dangers of not wearing a seatbelt as despite regular reminders, people continue to risk their lives and that of others by not belting up. Putting on your seatbelt should be part of your routine before even starting your car, this is necessary for those travelling in the front and rear seats. Often many people do not wear a seatbelt in the back and are not aware how dangerous it can be.
“International research and experience shows the use of seatbelts reduces serious and fatal injuries to drivers and passengers by around 50 per cent.”
- 1 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 2 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 3 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 6 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 7 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 8 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 9 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 10 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub