Belton hedge removal anger
THE borough council has defended removing a hedge in Belton which dated back hundreds of years. Local residents, who claimed the hedge in Berry Close was in good condition, were appalled to see it removed by GYB Services on Monday .
THE borough council has defended removing a hedge in Belton which dated back hundreds of years.
Local residents, who claimed the hedge in Berry Close was in good condition, were appalled to see it removed by GYB Services on Monday .
However, Lothingland councillor Barry Stone told the Mercury that the borough tree officer Patrick Tabor had inspected the hedge and found it to be riddled with Dutch Elm disease.
Mr Stone said: “The hedge was diseased and in a poor condition not worth any merit.”
However, local residents this week said there was nothing wrong with it.
Shirley Beach, of Berry Close, said she believed the hedge was more than 300 years old.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 4 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 5 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Charity football match to boost Norfolk and Waveney MIND
- 8 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 9 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 10 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
“It has been there for a long time and they have chosen the wrong time of year to do this as birds are looking for a place to nest. “There didn't appear to be anything wrong with the hedge. The roots and stumps looked fine but they have been removed as well.”
Mrs Beach said the area looked like an “absolute eyesore” now the hedge had been removed.
“The same thing happened in the area last year. It seems to be systematic slashing for no apparent reason,” she added.
June Tuttle, of Orwell Crescent, said: “They have dug the whole thing up and now it looks such a mess. It looks like a bomb has hit it. I think it is heart breaking. I had a look at the roots and from what I could see it doesn't look diseased.
“It just seems that the council can do what they like,” she added.
Mr Stone added the hedge would be replaced with a fence in the near future.