From cosy country pubs to high street boozers -The 13 finest real ale pubs in east Norfolk according to CAMRA
- Credit: Mark Beare
The CAMRA Good Beer Guide is out and some 13 pubs in east Norfolk - more than ever before - are featured.
Now in its 46th edition the book recommends 4,500 of the UK’s best real ale pubs.
Mark Beare, east Norfolk CAMRA pubs campaigns officer, said it was the area’s biggest entry, up from an allocation of 11 last year, and from five in 2016.
He said the independent listing was based on nominations, surveys and inspections by CAMRA members who scored according to a range of criteria spanning the beers themselves to the atmosphere and attitude to CAMRA.
He said: “During this process there was a backdrop of falling sales of lagers and pubs closing.
You may also want to watch:
“In spite of this there was a significant increase in sales of real ale in east Norfolk.
“This is shown by the number of pubs being awarded a place in the CAMRA National Good Beer Guide which is up from five in 2016 to 13 in 2019, that’s a 260pc increase.
- 1 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Council pay out six claims to drivers after car park ramp damaged vehicles
- 4 Neighbours oppose off-licence over crime fears
- 5 Drug dealer who targeted young people in Great Yarmouth jailed
- 6 'So proud' - School staff clap for children to mark 'phenomenal' work
- 7 Ghostly photos show deserted Yarmouth in lockdown
- 8 Norfolk-based Brexit Party founder punished for Covid protest
- 9 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 10 Man in court over Norfolk Broads' boat break-ins during lockdown
“The message is clear that well-kept and interesting real ale is a way of attracting customers to pubs.”
A total of 25 pubs were surveyed to make sure they met the rigorous guidelines set out by CAMRA to then go forward to the scoring process.
Every east Norfolk CAMRA member was invited to go online and score the pubs via our East Norfolk CAMRA website. Once the pubs scores were checked and correlated 13 entries forward to the Good Beer Guide editors.
The east Norfolk Good Beer Guide 2019 Pubs are:
The Locks Inn, Locks Lane, Geldeston
The Decoy Tavern, Beccles Road, Fritton
The New Entertainer, Back Pier Plain. Gorleston
The Oddfellows Arms, Cliff Hill, Gorleston
The Dock Tavern, Dock Tavern Lane, Gorleston
The Lichfield Arms, Lichfield Road, Southtown
The Red Herring, Havelock Road, Great Yarmouth
The Mariners Tavern, Howard Street South, Great Yarmouth
The Tombstone Saloon Bar, George Street, Great Yarmouth
The Kings Arms, Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth
The Kings Arms, The Green, Martham
The Lion Inn, The Street, Thurne
The Avenues, Great Yarmouth