Bid to extend quarry at Burgh Castle for another 15 years
PUBLISHED: 11:32 03 October 2017 | UPDATED: 12:16 03 October 2017
More details about a plan to extend the life of a quarry are set to emerge over tea and cake at a public meeting.
Folkes Plant and Aggregates wants to carry on extracting sand and gravel at Welcome Pit in Burgh Castle for another 15 years.
Its current permission runs out in 2020 and was last renewed ten years ago.
The meeting at the village halls follows a similar effort at the end of last year.
This time villagers will be updated on all that has happened since then, including the results of an archaeological dig, a noise survey and traffic survey.
Site manager Kevin Lee said the company was keen to keep people informed.
The future of the site depends on it being included in Norfolk County Council’s list of sites under its minerals’ plan, and winning consent to carry on digging in a new 10-acre section.
Mr Lee said there would be a presentation and slide show with experts on hand to answer any questions.
He said the consultation process was involved and technical and had cost some £25,000 so far.
Parish council chairman Trevor Greenacre urged all local folk to attend.
He said it was important that everyone had their say at this crucial stage, rather than complaining afterwards as had happened before.
“I would urge everyone to attend,” he said. “I have had one or two updates but will find out more on Monday.”
He said the main problem was the number of vehicle movements and the effect of rumbling lorries on the water pipes below.
A previous meeting at the end of November was said to generate some positive comments.
Then residents were told there would be no increase in mineral production or vehicle movements.
And as part of the permission people would see improvements in Butt Lane to do with road markings, better visibility, and speed activated warning signs.
The site includes some permanent activity like a concrete crushing and recycling plant.
Restoration plans shown at the previous meeting sketched out lakeside chalets on reed-ringed peninsulas.
Four years ago a rocket from the Second World War was found and in the quarry and exploded
The meeting is in the village hall on Monday October 16, 7-9pm, with refreshments and cakes.
How the process works
Following a call for mineral sites over the summer Norfolk County Council is assessing the sites submitted.
The next stage in the preparation of the Norfolk Minerals and Waste Local Plan Review will be the publication of a list of proposed sites.
This will most likely be in early 2018, and the list will go before members.
With members agreement those sites will then be subject to public consultation where people will get the first of several opportunities to give their views.
The Norfolk Minerals and Waste Local Plan Review will also be examined by an independent planning inspector; this stage is not expected to take place until 2019.
Before any minerals or waste site can operate the developer will also need to apply for and be granted planning permission.