Blaze destroys Yarmouth warehouse
A clear-up operation was beginning yesterday after a massive blaze tore through a warehouse in Yarmouth. The building in Battery Road was severely damaged and fire officers said it may have to be demolished because of structural damage.
A clear-up operation was beginning yesterday after a massive blaze tore through a warehouse in Yarmouth.
The building in Battery Road was severely damaged and fire officers said it may have to be demolished because of structural damage.
Ten fire crews and several support appliances battled the fire in the roof of the premises which broke out shortly after 3.30am yesterday.
Firefighters managed to get the blaze under control by 6am and three crews remained at the scene later in the morning damping down. Roads around the building were cordoned off as efforts were made to make the scene safe.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Hudson, manager of the fire crew from Yarmouth, said that small-scale chemical works were carried out at the Baker House premises. Because of this he said fire crews initially had to proceed with caution until it was established that there were no hazardous chemicals on the site.
Mr Hudson said it was too early to say what had caused the fire. “At this stage we cannot say where the fire started or what caused it. We will have special fire investigation teams here tomorrow,” he said.
- 1 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 2 Norfolk boxer turns pro after winning fight against bullies
- 3 New £14m special education school opens after two-year build
- 4 Land 'on fringe' of popular Norfolk village set for auction
- 5 'I want to help as many people as I can' - Caister student's song for mental health
- 6 Norfolk man wins electric motorcycle worth £12,000
- 7 Great Yarmouth's Portuguese residents' share love for 'second home'
- 8 Abba and Beyoncé bottomless brunches coming to Norfolk venue
- 9 Bin collection days to change across Great Yarmouth area
- 10 Apartment blocks close to seafront set for auction
“There has been severe damage to the building and it may possibly have to be demolished. Two adjoining buildings have also been damaged.”
Representatives from the electricity and gas boards were at the scene yesterday along with building control.
Mr Hudson said: “All the supplies to the building have been seriously damaged. The roof has completely fallen in and the walls that are standing, if they don't fall down during the day, will probably be pushed down.”
Fire crews from Yarmouth, Gorleston, Martham, Lowestoft, Loddon, Stalham, Norwich and the Sprowston chemical incident unit assisted in tackling the blaze. The hydraulic platform from Yarmouth and the foam unit from Gorleston also attended.
Local resident Warren Lambert said he was woken up by the fire. “I looked out of the window and at first I thought that the power plant had gone,” he said. “I went down and had a look. The police and fire service were there by then. The flames were right up in the air, maybe twice the height of the building.”