Bowling green future uncertain
THE future of a village bowling green is still uncertain following a parish council meeting this week.Suffolk County Council wants to expand Corton Primary School as it will take extra pupils when middle schools are scrapped in the Lowestoft area from 2011.
THE future of a village bowling green is still uncertain following a parish council meeting this week.
Suffolk County Council wants to expand Corton Primary School as it will take extra pupils when middle schools are scrapped in the Lowestoft area from 2011.
The plans involve the school taking over the village hall for use as an assembly and dining hall and the bowling green for an outdoor play area.
A recent consultation period has seen county council officials hold a display in the village and explain the reasons behind the scheme.
However, members of the village bowling club are upset that a popular village amenity that has been in existence for 100 years could be lost.
Parish council members met on Tuesday where they were given an update on the current situation.
- 1 New seafood restaurant with 'best cocktails around' to open in Yarmouth
- 2 National gym chain eyes former retail unit
- 3 Great Yarmouth nostalgia: Memories of Market Gates in the early days
- 4 'Squatter' couple win right to use land as garden
- 5 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 6 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes
- 7 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 8 CCTV footage released in search for missing Gorleston man
- 9 Have your say on new hospital for Great Yarmouth and Waveney
- 10 MTV heading to Great Yarmouth for 'ultimate weekend'
Chairman David Butcher said: “We are still at the consultation stage so the parish council has not so far made any recommendations. It is a complex situation as the Charity Commissioners have to be involved.”
A county council spokesman has said that all views expressed will be taken into consideration before a planning application is submitted.