Boy rescued in river drama
A SIX-year-old boy was plucked from the River Yare after falling off the quayside in Southgates Road, Yarmouth, at about 6.20pm on Wednesday.A member of the public dialled 999 after trying in vain to throw a line to the youngster in the water.
A SIX-year-old boy was plucked from the River Yare after falling off the quayside in Southgates Road, Yarmouth, at about 6.20pm on Wednesday.
A member of the public dialled 999 after trying in vain to throw a line to the youngster in the water.
A Yarmouth Port Company pilot boat with coxswain Clive Williment and Ryan Gowing on board swiftly went to the rescue after being alerted by the coastguard.
They hauled him out of the water and passed him into the care of the Gorleston inshore lifeboat crew.
You may also want to watch:
Harbour master Pat McNamara said: “We don't yet know the circumstances in which he fell in the water. He was quite fortunate that it was slack water and he would not have been swept along far by the current.”
Lifeboat operations manager Neal Duffield said: “The River Yare is always extremely tidal and it is not the place to fall in.”
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 3 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 4 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 5 Historical clock restored after sitting in cellar for 60 years
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 9 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 10 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
He said after being checked over, the boy, who was suffering from the cold, was advised to go to hospital for a precautionary examination.
The drama unfolded close to the spot where a nine-year-old girl was rescued two years ago, and where Daniel Entwistle, seven, disappeared, presumed drowned, in May 2003.