Boy rescued in river drama
A SIX-year-old boy was plucked from the River Yare after falling off the quayside in Southgates Road, Yarmouth, at about 6.20pm on Wednesday.A member of the public dialled 999 after trying in vain to throw a line to the youngster in the water.
A SIX-year-old boy was plucked from the River Yare after falling off the quayside in Southgates Road, Yarmouth, at about 6.20pm on Wednesday.
A member of the public dialled 999 after trying in vain to throw a line to the youngster in the water.
A Yarmouth Port Company pilot boat with coxswain Clive Williment and Ryan Gowing on board swiftly went to the rescue after being alerted by the coastguard.
They hauled him out of the water and passed him into the care of the Gorleston inshore lifeboat crew.
You may also want to watch:
Harbour master Pat McNamara said: “We don't yet know the circumstances in which he fell in the water. He was quite fortunate that it was slack water and he would not have been swept along far by the current.”
Lifeboat operations manager Neal Duffield said: “The River Yare is always extremely tidal and it is not the place to fall in.”
- 1 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Shop to reopen after fire which caused 'significant' damage
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
- 7 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 8 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 9 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
- 10 Yarmouth's Sophie McKinna Olympic medal chase starts tomorrow
He said after being checked over, the boy, who was suffering from the cold, was advised to go to hospital for a precautionary examination.
The drama unfolded close to the spot where a nine-year-old girl was rescued two years ago, and where Daniel Entwistle, seven, disappeared, presumed drowned, in May 2003.