Bradwell couple's golden wedding
LOOKING on the bright side of life has helped a Bradwell couple to enjoy a happy half-century of married life.Douglas and Audrey McSteen celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on Saturday on Cyprus, the sunny island of love god Aphrodite.
LOOKING on the bright side of life has helped a Bradwell couple to enjoy a happy half-century of married life.
Douglas and Audrey McSteen celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on Saturday on Cyprus, the sunny island of love god Aphrodite.
Their romance has not dimmed in the 50 years since they walked down the aisle together at St Peter's Church, Great Yarmouth, on September 26 1959.
It was a relationship that was rekindled by a chance meeting in Regent Road just five months earlier.
You may also want to watch:
Douglas had just finished
his national service with
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Legal challenge over riverside footpath is finally resolved
- 3 Woman threatened with 10in bread knife and two meat cleavers, court told
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Drone captures unique view of Norfolk landmark
- 6 How can Hemsby best be protected from surging seas?
- 7 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Bid for four-storey waterside flats on warehouse site
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Free wi-fi launched in Great Yarmouth’s Market Place
the RAF and Audrey had returned to Yarmouth from London to help run her mother's hotel.
They had dated briefly as teenagers in 1953, but Audrey dumped her future husband after he failed to turn up for a date on the day of the great flood.
Douglas, now 74, worked as a motor mechanic for several years in Caister and later at the Matthes bakery at Gorleston.
Audrey, 73, was for a time a nurse at the old St Nicholas Hospital in Yarmouth.
The couple have a son, Ian, and a 17-year-old grandson, James.
Both are members of the congregation of Cliff Park Community Church, and they share a love of gardening, walking and travel.
Douglas is also a keen indoor bowls player and archer,
while Audrey enjoys going swimming.
Reflecting on the secret of a successful marriage, Audrey said: “Basically, you have to laugh at things, compromise and encourage each other, and having a faith helps in a relationship.”