Bride an inspiration to slimmers
EVERY bride wants to look the best for her wedding, but Tammy Goldthorpe had the added satisfaction of having lost more than eight stone before the big day.
Walking down the aisle in a size 14 dress seemed like a dream when Tammy tipped the scales at almost 20 stone.
But last month the super slimmer drew admiring glances when she married husband Paul at St Mary’s Church, Southtown.
Vowing to tackle her lifelong weight problem, Tammy, 41, traded in crisps and cakes for healthy meals with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Since joining a Slimming World Group, Great Yarmouth mum of two Tammy has tumbled to 11 and a half stone and is still hoping to shed some more pounds.
A pre-school practitioner at Northgate St Andrews School, she had already lost much of the weight before meeting Paul through an online dating site.
The couple got on famously when they met face to face for the first time last summer and Paul popped the question on Christmas Day.
- 1 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 2 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
Tammy said: “I first put photos up of me on the website before I lost weight and Paul contacted me having seen them, so it was never really an issue.
“I would tell him about my weight loss and he was always congratulating me on what I achieved. Married life is fabulous and we are looking forward to our honeymoon in Essex next week.
“I had always been big from my school days and my weight increased when my first marriage ended and I started comfort eating.
“My children were the priority when they were growing up, but now I have more time for myself.”
Tammy has won the group’s Slimmer of the Year award three years running and the biggest loser certificate twice.
One daughter Sherry, 19, has also lost four stone and the other, 18-year-old Paige, has been inspired to join her mum’s slimming group.
And when once she used to wear tracksuits Tammy now sports fitted skirts and tops
“I can get into one leg of my old trousers and my daughter and I can both climb into one of my old skirts,” said Tammy.
“I enjoy inspiring others – there was a large lady in her car who did not want to get out to go into the meeting, but I showed her my before and after photos, which encouraged her to come in.”
l Great Yarmouth North Slimming World Group meets at Alderman Swindell School every Thursday at 6.30pm. For more information call David Dagnall on 01493 751440 or 07887920767.